Turning key kills power...until I step on brakes!

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing a very strange problem with my 1997 Saturn SL2 that started a week ago. Sometimes when I try to start the car, I lose all electrical power. There are no starting sounds whatsoever and even the LCD clock on the radio which is normally always on goes out. What's even weirder is when I step on the brake pedal, the power comes back on. I can then usually start the car normally, but sometimes the power just goes out again. If I start the car while depressing the brake pedal, it starts fine. Once the car has started, everything runs perfectly fine..

This has happened about four or five times over the last week but seems to be getting worse. It's more likely to occur when I'm trying to start the car for the first time that day. The weather has been a little colder here lately, especially overnight, so maybe that is a factor? Also, the battery was replaced only two months ago.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? Is there any danger that the power could go out while I'm driving?

Thanks much,

-Allen

Reply to
rocklob

Check the wiring under the dash near the brake pedal. I seem to recall that on some of the cars, the cable was placed up against the brake pedal so that it eventually wore through.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen