190E Stalling problems

Mercedes 1992 190E 2.6 I bought my car two month ago (in December). Two weeks ago it start acting up: all of a sudden there is a total loss of fuel power, all the instrument lights come on and the radio stays on but the power steering goes out and the engine shuts down. If I start car in 5-10min everything is fine. Its like the engine just shuts itself off. The car does "chug and struggle" when this happens. I did change Fuel Pump, but it did not help. Thanks in advance for any help offered. Al

Reply to
compuant

There's a relay called the "over voltage protection relay" (OVP) that gets tired and causes such symptoms. It has a fuse on its top. Suggest you focus on it; your car is the "right age" for it to fail.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

If not this, then fuel pump relay.

Reply to
Tiger

I have two of these Benzes (an '87 w124 and an '88 w201), does anyone know if the OVP and Fuel pump relays in these cars are interchangeable?

That could be handy for troubleshooting if (or when) my cars start having problems.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Ximinez, absolutely.... I've got both of these cars myself and have done just that recently.

cheers, guenter

ps, moreover if the OVP is bad (measure contact resistance) simply open it up and clean the relay contact surfaces.... works great

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Good, I might even stock up on some spares...

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Pope....

Thanks a lot. Quick update for my problem: I have not touched my car for a week, (even didn't start the ignition, was very busy at work) now I can not stat it at all :(( I have all electrical power, no warnings, and it sounds like trying to start, but nothing. I did checked and cleaned the Overload Relay. BTW. In 190E 1992 Fuel Pump Relay in build in with MAS, so if it is Fuel Relay - I'll have to change the MAS ?!

Thanks again !!!! Al.

Reply to
compuant

Not so fast there..... is yours a 2.3 or 2.6? If it's a 2.3 you have a relay behind the battery somewhere probably... if it's a 2.6, ouch, MAS

cheers, guenter

news.uwaterloo.ca!meganewsservers.com!feeder2.on.meganewsservers.com!194.186.254.21.MISMATCH!newsfeed.gamma.ru!Gamma.RU!newsfeed2.dallas1.level3.net!news.level3.com!postnews.google.com!y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

news.uwaterloo.ca!meganewsservers.com!feeder2.on.meganewsservers.com!194.186.254.21.MISMATCH!newsfeed.gamma.ru!Gamma.RU!newsfeed2.dallas1.level3.net!news.level3.com!postnews.google.com!y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail

Reply to
compuant

om!194.18=AD6.254.21.MISMATCH!newsfeed.gamma.ru!Gamma.RU!newsfeed2.dallas1.= level3.net!n=ADews.level3.com!postnews.google.com!y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.= com!not-for-mai=ADl

Reply to
compuant