1990 Camry "BRAKE" "CHARGE" & "LIGHTS" warning lights

We have a 1990 Camry with 103K miles on it. Very reliable, until just recently (past two weeks), except the BRAKE, CHARGE, and LIGHTS warning lights in the dashboard come on intermittently, all at the same time, after the car is started. We have checked all lights and blinkers and they are all operational. The car seems to be running fine and this will only happen after the car has been started. Sometimes with the brakes depressed and in Neutral they will literally strobe erratically and then just stop, again, without any performance issues. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Yes the BRAKE light goes on when I engage the E-brake and likewise, it will go off when I disengage the E-brake. As far as the CHARGE light, the car starts up just fine, even after the car has been sitting all weekend (we use the "NICE" car during the weekends). Also, we experience no power issues. Now, in regard to the LIGHTS light, we have checked all bulbs/blinkers/reverse/headlights/interior lights, etc and they are all working. We replaced front brake pads just over a year ago when we replaced the timing belt, power steering belt, and AC belt.

Thanks, in advance. Any info will be helpful.

Reply to
Rybo

after

happen

in

will

use

replaced

Have a mechanic check the Alternator for one or more defective diodes, or internal regulator issue.

Louis

Reply to
Louis Bybee

after

happen

in

will

use

replaced

Reply to
Brad Coon

Or you could try replacing the brushes first - may just be worn. Alternator is not properly charging the battery so you get the Charge light. Not sure about yours, but on 1992+ the brushes can be changed without even removing the belt and are available from the dealer for under $20

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Thanks, everyone. I just replaced the alternator. That did it. The battery was reading a steady 17.2 while the car was running!!! I'm surprised the damn thing didn't blow everything. After the alternator swap the battery was reading a nice AND normal 14.0. Hey, 14 years with the original alternator isn't all that bad, right? Again. thanks for the posts, everyone.

rybo.

after

happen

in

will

use

replaced

Reply to
Rybo

swap

are

again,

car

issues.

Reply to
Brad Coon

Hi Rybo,

Since your alternator was putting out such a high voltage, I highly recommend that you check the electrolyte levels in your battery because it was being overcharged. Add distilled water, if required.

Kindest regards,

BiLL.....

Bill Darden