unbelievable

unbelievable! I just towed a friends disabled old 4.3L S10 from a couple towns away to his relatives barn with my old '93 Saturn wagon(without incident thank God!). Can't get over it. Some people urged me to forget even trying it. Said it would wreck my tranny. Now I want to get a trailer hitch for this car, just for light, occasional, short distance hauling, via a small light weight trailer. Anyone have recommendations as to who's trailer hitches are best for Saturn wagons? Thanks for any info in advance....

Reply to
user

...S Series are rated at about 1,000 lbs IIRC - what did you wrap the tow straps or chains around since you mention you're interested in looking for a hitch? (just curious)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

-> unbelievable! I just towed a friends disabled old 4.3L S10 from

-> a couple towns away to his relatives barn with my old '93 Saturn

-> wagon(without incident thank God!). Can't get over it. Some

-> people urged me to forget even trying it. Said it would wreck my

-> tranny. Now I want to get a trailer hitch for this car, just for

-> light, occasional, short distance hauling, via a small light

-> weight trailer. Anyone have recommendations as to who's trailer

-> hitches are best for Saturn wagons? Thanks for any info in

-> advance....

I went to my local Saturn dealer and asked them to install a trailer hitch. They did. I don't recall how much it cost. It was about six years ago.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

cool, the 1.9 shows it's strength again!

A friend bragged once to me that he towed his broken down F150 with a SL1 (at slow speeds Im sure).

1.9L is capable of towing 1000lbs. The retailer installed hitch is the way to go for that car.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Reply to
user

Reply to
user

Its dealer specific, whatever the cost of parts and labor. Call the parts dept, theyll be able to tell you.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

...you guys had some angels watching over you this day - I'm guessing because the other vehicle was rolling there was less stress on your wagon. If it was stuck in the mud, etc, I get a visual of you pulling the whole rear suspension right off of the car. When I looked into a hitch (when I had a 97SL2) it looks like it bolts to the trunk floor. You could probably call your local U-Haul and ask what they charge for the hitch and install. My old Saturn dealer was my fave for service for anything - but service quality seems to vary between dealers quite a bit based on posts I've read over the years...

PS: Did you crawl back under the wagon and look for bent or loose parts? (just curious)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

We were lucky and also the guy steering his truck, being towed, was really good about handling that part of it, quite skillfully actually. Most of the trip was just rolling along as the route picked allowed us to take it pretty easy. I still do not intend to do this again, at least like that, and will at least get a proper hitch in the near future. Everything underneath looks OK and it just passed inspection this last week, after the tow episode. I looked at the wagon while up on the lift. Looks OK with no damage done. It was all clear and dry pavement, no mud.

If the dealer hitch just bolts to the floor of the trunk, I can do that myself. I'll have to st> ...you guys had some angels watching over you this day - I'm guessing

Reply to
user

...at

I found under Saturn and model Series found a flat-bar receiver hitch. It says 2000 lbs towing with a 200 lb tongue weight (I thought it would pull more like 1000). This one is $99. I've never used the site above or know anything about them - just a quickie look on the web...

Other than the visuals, I don't know the pros and cons of a flat-bar versus the square receivers - maybe someone else can comment...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Reply to
user