What type of tool to remove plenum on 3.0

Was looking at the '01 3L motor and what was involved to remove the plenum for service.

The asembly is held on with what looks to be male Torx fasteners. Does anybody know what tool mates to this?

On the air tubes from the plenum to head, there are snap clamps that also have to be removed. what is the correct tool for this? Looks like they are harder to put back on than to remove. Was just thinking of replacing with regular hose clamps but this just looks so neat (and probably doesn't tear the rubber).

Thanks - Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Not trying to be a dick, but probably female torx ??

Are the the type of clamps like those on a CV boot for instance? I've also seen clamps similar to that used on power steering lines. If so you need special pliers to put them on.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Thanks bandit, Guess I was asking for that. I'd never seen a female Torx tool, only males in the past. Didn't know if it was something I could find at Sears, and then if I would have to buy a whole set or just the size needed.

Yes, looks like the type of band used on CV boots, just about 2" diameter. Looks like a tight fit so wasn't sure if the tool used on CV boots would work. My last car had another type of strap securing the boot so I don't have the pliers type of tool.

Father's day is approaching... Time to make a tool list

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Thats a very good question. I've never actually used the female torx myself as they're pretty rare. Hope its not one of those deals you have to buy off the snap on truck or it will cost some $$$

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I own a set of female Torx sockets. I seem to recall using it once a few years back and that was why I purchased the set. Certainly not something you will use frequently.

In any event, I seem to recall picking this up at Sears in their specialty tool area. I do not believe the set is a "Craftsman".

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Good answers-

I took a course on blacksmithing a few years ago. Learned how to forge my own tools if I have to. not terribly good at it yet and still prefer to buy specialty tools when I can afford it. Besides, getting the right temper and hardness just by watching the oxidation colors while heating (old school method) is a bit vague on modern alloys.

Oh well, off to Sears to have a look.

Reply to
Oppie

I have a set of female Torx sockets. I'm pretty sure they are Lisle brand. I got them at an independent tool store near me.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

replacing with

doesn't tear

I'm not sure what size you're dealing with, but I have found that some Torx bolts can be removed with a 6-point wrench/socket. The bolts that hold the seat in on my '96 SL2 are Torx head and I used a 6-point box-end ratchet wrench to take the bolts out, as there isn't room to get a socket on the bolts.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Yes, that's it. Thanks Ken Set of 10pc, sizes E5 - E20, Recommended Retail $31.95

Now that I think of it, they also had the 12 point (torx?) bits to remove the half shafts on my old VW.

Reply to
Oppie