1955 Commander C/K Instrument Plinth

Does anybody have a good dashboard instrument housing for a 55 Commander C/K, the chrome piece (what the British call a plinth)?

Don't need the gauges, just the housing.

Frank Starr Seattle

Reply to
fstarr

I've passed on a couple at various swap meets... guess that doesn't help you much, does it?

Frank, do you have that stickshift column still? I might have a need for it in the vague future; I've almost got my 4-speed sorted out and am thinking that the stickshift column might be easier to "shave." (am trying to keep a stock-ish look, don't like the thick late model columns in a Stude.)

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

Yes, Nate, I'm tardy in getting it back to you. I'll work on it this weekend.

Too bad about the swap meet opportunities. Someone drilled holes in mine, and the chrome is falling off anyway.

Frank

N8N wrote:

Reply to
fstarr

Not a HUGE rush... let me know when you will be sending it, looks like I will be officially moving weekend after next.

Have you got the column in your car OK? How did the power steering work out? I can officially state that I have a good working pump available, if it comes to that. (I swapped pumps when I swapped engines, just so I could see if the one I got from Lee worked OK.) Haven't driven the car enough yet to determine if I'm happy with the tighter steering box I got from Lee or if I will have the really shot one rebuilt.

nate

snipped-for-privacy@oz.net wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have a fairly nice one. How nice does does it have to be to meet your needs? Jerry

Reply to
jerrystudebaker

Jerry -

Thanks for responding. Mine has holes that someone drilled in it, and the chrome is flaking off pretty good. If yours is better than that, I'd like it.

Frank

jerrystudebaker wrote:

Reply to
fstarr

Nate -

If you're moving, you probably don't want some box from me showing up for a couple of weeks. Where are you moving to?

I've pretty much got everything ready to go on the car. Turns out I had to do a total rebuild of the steering box - it had quite a bit of rust inside. Replaced the power cylinder, piston and rings, connecting rod, control valve assembly, and all bearings and seals. I was lucky that Stephan Allen and SASCO had the pieces - I think I got the last of some of them. Also rebuilt the pump - that was easy. Got the steering column housing and all the top end parts painted (ceylon beige). Last weekend I pulled and stripped the dashboard for painting. Taking it to my metalman tomorrow to plug all the holes that people drilled in it. Then it should be assembly time. I'll fix a few of the cloth covered wires in the dash that are fraying, but most of them are OK. Of course, most of the wires are plastic, fortunately.

Frank

Nate Nagel wrote:

net/~njnagel

Reply to
fstarr

Falls Church, VA - still in the same area, but hopefully about 30-45 min. closer to the office. Farther away from JP's place though so I'll have to drive farther to get parts :( But I will have my own garage so I can work on cars in the evenings :) (assuming I get everything moved and unpacked in a reasonable amount of time, that is, which is looking doubtful right now - I am taking a break from work as I type this.)