35 paintable items on Studebaker Avanti

Thanks to searches on this and other sources, AND N8N excellent help, I have the following list of color for everything I can think about that could have been painted in the factory Avanti. Note that I am not covering interior and body which have whole web pages dedicated to them Thanks to N8N, here is the updated list...Now up to 35!! paintable items, note that I attempted to differentiate between glossy, semi-glossy, and flat. Any more updates/corrections?

Studebaker Avanti Colors Part::Color: Engine Block:Gloss black Intake Manifold:Gloss black Exhaust Manifold/Headers:natural cast iron Valve Covers:Chrome? Valve "Breather" Caps:Chrome? Oil Dip Stick:chrome Transmission Dip Stick (Automatic):yellow (any "official" shade/hue?) Transmission Dip Stick (Manual):none Fan:orange (any "official" shade/hue?) Fan shroud:flat black (I think?) AC:natural R2/R3 Air box:natural Carburator:natural R1 Air Cleaner:chrome w/ black base R2/R3 supercharger:Factory superchargers were black, Paxton replacements Red (any "official" shade/hue?) R2/R3 Air Cleaner:chrome Coolant Tank over engine:glossy black Radiator:Gloss black Fender Inside:body color Firewall:body color Distributor:Gloss black Distributor cover: stainless Transmission:Semi-Gloss black Drive Line:Semi-Gloss black Axle/Differential:Semi-Gloss black Exhaust:rust frame:rust Brake calipers:rust Brake drum:rust Front Suspension, A-frame:Semi-Gloss black Water Pump:Semi-Gloss black Fuel Pump:Semi-Gloss black wheel:"cream" ??? (any "official" shade/hue?) hubcaps/wheel covers:Chrome with flat black inserts?

Terry,

1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
Kubota L2202 (Diesel)2000 VW Jetta GLS
Reply to
63Avanti

What color rust? No I am not making fun. Being an ex-model railroader, depending on where the metal rusted will determine the color. Nit-pickers

Reply to
Bill Glass

LOL... well some of those were a little tongue in cheek. I believe that the frame was originally black; at least the frame on my '55 was underneath all the oily goo. However, I couldn't tell you whether it was gloss, semi-gloss, flat, or what - it really is little better than primer, as it wipes right off with lacquer thinner. I just wiped it clean and sprayed it with rattle-can semi gloss black. Any area of any Studebaker frame that wasn't coated in oil is likely all surface rusted by now.

The brake drums, at least some of the better preserved ones that I've seen, had a thin black coating on them as well, but surface rust almost immediately.

I haven't a clue if the calipers were ever painted or not. Likewise the rotors. I don't know that I've ever seen any well preserved enough to say. I don't believe that the exhaust ever had any kind of coating on it whatsoever, although I'm willing to be corrected.

I think the orange for the fan is close to Chevy Orange, but tends a little more towards red. The breathers on 62-64 non-R-series cars are the same color. The blower may or may not be the same color, but it's close.

I have to admit, I'm not a real stickler for originality when it comes to detailing at this level. Bill, if you can even hold your hand steady enough to paint the rust on the frame of a 1:87 scale Avanti, you're a better man than I :)

nate

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel