'63 Hawk front disc brakes

I love my 63 Hawk R-1 but the front disc brakes have always squealed when making turns and pulled side to side when braking occassionally. While researching replacement calipers, I happenned onto the Turner Brakes solution and was wondering if anyone out there has used their solution; what were the overall results; what sort of problems you might have encountered during installation and application, etc.? They claim that it will work on Hawks even though it was designed for the Avanti. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
doug

Doug,

There are a couple ways to go on this. One is to take your calipers off and send them out to be sleeved and rebuilt. OR, for about the same cost, order Jim Turner's deluxe kit and put them on. Easy install, great results, and engineered to last. While you are at it, be sure to order the bracket to convert your car over to a dual-circuit master cylinder. As long as you are in the brakes already, may as well upgrade the safety side of it too.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

If you get side to side pulls make sure that new hoses are part of your brake overhaul.

I've heard nothing but good things about Turner's conversion; if originality isn't important to you it's definitely something to look into. I'd check out is dual resevoir master cylinder conversion as well, if you're going non-stock.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks D, Their on-line instructions state that I "may" have to change from the original 4 1/2" wheels to the 5 1/2" Avanti wheel. If that turned out to be the case, it could turn into a rather expensive conversion for me at this point in time. Have you heard of this being necessary? doug

Reply to
doug

I will 2nd that, add the dual master cylinder conversion, you cannot believe the feeling of confidence and extra margin of safety having that onboard. Just knowing there is a dual system on board is very comforting.

I am all thumbs, and it took me about 90 min to install it and bleed the system, which by the way I have some of those self bleeding stems still instock $30 a car includes shipping.

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

I will 2nd that, add the dual master cylinder conversion, you cannot believe the feeling of confidence and extra margin of safety having that onboard. Just knowing there is a dual system on board is very comforting.

I am all thumbs, and it took me about 90 min to install it and bleed the system, which by the way I have some of those self bleeding stems still instock $30 a car includes shipping.

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

If you have the 4-1/2" wheels I would go straight to the 6" wide Ford wheels and be done with it. You should be able to get them for about $150 for four, brand new. There was a guy in TX advertising them in Turning Wheels, not sure if he still does or not. That way you can run, say, 215/70s rather than 195/75s and there's much better tires available in the larger sizes. (I believe the specific wheels you want are a 4WD Ranger application, I forget what years.)

That said, if you have the factory disc brake wheels and you want to do it one step at a time, my best advice is to ask Jim Turner directly, he would know where the possible points of interference are. I'm not sure if it's an issue with interference with the wheel center (in which case you may be OK with the factory disc brake wheels) or with the rim (in which case you may not be.)

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If you can find a Wheel & Rim Company or a similiar store,locally NWRA# X40273 is the wheels #, 15x6 , 4 1/2 on 5, Original app is Ford Ranger and Bronco II 4x4. Original Lugnuts work with it.

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Transtar60

Don't think twice, just buy the damn things and never worry again.

doug wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart