Bad Studebaker day

As you may recall I spent the last few weeks detailing and installing N8's old 289 in a 51. I got it looking real pretty, even converted to dual exhaust. Got it started this A.M.,checked the oil pressure (50 PSI) and was doing some carb adjustments when a loud knock developed and the engine locked up before I could get to the key. All I can figure is maybe N8 did not tighten one of the bearings after he checked there condition. I'm going to shove the car to the corner of the driveway and do something else while I ponder my options. (Always wanted a Caddy powered Studebaker)

Reply to
John Poulos

that's the only scenario that makes sense to me too JP. either a rod or main bolt worked loose. That engine was holding good OP even at hot idle; I didn't see any issue with it other than I would have felt better putting new rings in it if I were going to keep it in my car (but the while-you're-in-there's got me) If it was just idling in the driveway, any possibility of just changing the bearing shells in the car and trying again? might be the cheapest way out. That was a NICE looking crankshaft and it shouldn't have scored it if there wasn't a load on it. I have done in the car bearing replacements on cars with far worse looking cranks and at least one of them is still being driven daily (I know, it's not the RIGHT way, but if you have no $$ and a car with a knocking rod, you do what you have to do.)

I do know that I only pulled one rod cap and one main cap so that should help narrow your search, if that actually is the problem. If it's not I should count myself lucky as I was tooling down the road at about 70 MPH just a couple hours before that engine ended up on the stand!

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
John Poulos

I would tend to suspect ingestion of a small foreign object like a nut, washer, or screw, when an assembled engine has been sitting around for any length of time.

Reply to
Dwain G.

Also meant to say......pull all the spark plugs and see if you find a beat-up one.

Reply to
Dwain G.