Better route to York

Okay, you guys who know the situation around DC give me a heads up. I am dreading hitting the beltway. I will be coming up I95 from North Carolina. I am thinking about getting on U.S. 301 just before the Richmond bypass rejoins I-95 and taking that to where I can get on I93 and go to the Baltimore beltway. What do you guys think? Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab

You could do that, but I think you meant I-97, yes? if you're going to do that instead of following US 301 to MD 3 to I-97 just take US-50 east at Bowie and pick up I-97 in Annapolis. (you'll also be only a couple miles from JP's at that point, so you might as well stop in and say hi to my car) That is a valid way to go, you'll still hit Baltimore traffic but not so much the DC traffic. Once you hit the Baltimore beltway, you just go around the west side until you get to I-83 north which takes you in to York.

There's another, longer way you could go that takes you around ALL the major cities, but I'd have to get Michele to give you those directions. Her parents live in Fayetteville but her dad grew up not far from Reedsville (and shares your distaste for big-city rush hour traffic,) so she's done that trip a few times. I think the basic gist is to head west from Fayetteville and pick up I-81 somewhere, take that all the way up to Gettysburg, then take US-30 over to York? (if you were going all the way to Reedsville, I-81 and I-83 meet up near Harrisburg so it makes more sense that way) as I recall that is a nice drive, but traffic on 81 moves pretty good. You do have OD, right?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If you want to avoid both cities (DC and Baltimore), get off I-95 at Falmouth (Fredericksburg, VA) and take US 17 to Warrenton. Take 29-211 over to US 15 east of Warrenton and follow it to Gettysburg. Take US 30 from Gettysburg to York. Or follow US 17 to US 340 just north of White Post, VA and follow it to where it joins US 15 west of Frederick, MD then follow the above direction. If you follow this route, watch out on the eight-mile stretch from I-66 to US-50. You are going through BIG $$$ horse country and the citizens there resent noisy old traffic in their beautiful valley. They had the political clout to ban trucks and get a 45 mph speed limit enforced.. Beyond that, the only downer here is the stretch from Gettysburg to York is mostly two-lane and goes through several little towns- not the fastest route, but kind of interesting. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Just had another thought... you could take I-95 or US-1 north to US-17 and take that to Warrenton, then pick up US-15 which you can take all the way to Gettysburg. The only problem with that is that apparently north of Leesburg US-15 is still a busy commuter route, although not nearly as bad as the hell that is I-95 or I-270 in the afternoon.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Joe,

You can get on US 17 at Fredericksburg, take it to US 15 and follow that into PA and then US 30 into York. I don't know if it's any shorter but it's a LOT more interesting and you stay away from that whole DC mess.

Jeff DeWitt

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Switch over to I-83, take it to York,WBMA

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to