Dial indicator alignment?

I'm trying to align the bellhousing to a new V8, and I'm stumped on how to make sure the rod attached to crank is properly centered before mounting the dial indicator. I have one with a magnetic base, but I can't figure out how to center it. What's the secret? Do I need a special tool?

Bob Porter

Reply to
reporter

Actually, you need not center the base. Just clamp it down firmly, so it will not move. When you rotate the crank, the dial indicator will only move in a circle anyways. Jeff

"reporter" wrote..

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

Bob,

The dial indicator base doesn't have to be centered with relation to the crank centerline. It will measure the same relative position to the bell housing as you turn the crank.

Jack

Reply to
jack767

Bob, per the other responses, the base just needs to be attached FIRMLY to the flywheel. An alternate method is to use a tool that inserts into the pilot bushing and expands to hold it in, and attach the dial indicator to that. Again, this needs no centering, but does need to be attached so it does not move.

I have a (blurry) pic of this setup here:

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Guys:

Thanks for the quick responses. I was having a hard time visualizing why the indicator rod doesn't need to be centered to the crank, but once I drew a sketch, the principle was clear.

Bob

Reply to
reporter

Reply to
Chuck Collins

Now I know where I got the picture from!

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Alex Magdaleno

Hey Bob, when I did this I used the magnetic base too. As long as the base is soild I don't think you are going to have any problems. It should accomplish the same as this setup and not require any fabrication. Hope this helps.

Richard Lawler

'57 1/2 ton Transtar '51 2dr Champion

Reply to
Richard Lawler