Finally received my Hawk

My Hawk has a new home. It took a long time from my purchase date of June 10. Gary Johnson of Tacoma did the brakes and bearings before it left left Tacoma Wa. which was a couple week job doing odds and ends. Thanks Gary! The Hawk was worth every penny with a beautiful body. JP supplied the carpet and door panel set which will go in this week. The ignition switch is fuddled thanks to Searail transport but to there credit have asked for the bill to replace it. Searail Transport was a pain in the *ss when they did not show up for scheduled pickups and would show up unannouced when nobody was there. They were several weeks behind schedule but to their credit they did deliver my Hawk to my door at their expense. After all is said and done I would use them again with less expections.

My first task was to remove the 16 year old gas from the tank. I notice a small leak in the gas tank as the fuel was dripping on my driveway. I remove the tank only to discover the 2" connection hose was leaking. I could not get at the clamp since the drive section was tucked under the frame. I hope that is the only leak. The gasoline was piss yellow and I filled too many containers to take to the hazardous waste disposal site.

I got the tank back in and fillled it with 5 gallons of premium and hotwired the car which was running very rough. I ran the old gas out of the carb. I buzzed around the neighborhood for about a half hour and the car seemed to settle down a bit.

The hawk hesitates badly in Drive: almost like it does not down shilft into first. It runs like a hot damn in first and will even bark when I throw it in second. (roads were slightly wet after rain)

I wondering if the hesitation is fowled plug so I am planning to pull the plugs tommorrow morning and have a look at them before I take it to my mechanic for a safety certificate. I then have to pay more provincal tax to get a license. After that and take it down the QEW for a good rip.

I'm looking forward to it! Hawk Looks good in the garage.

BTW no neo nazis at Canadian Customs. The Toronto office was waiting for the Hawk to come through today. I was treated like royality and actually emptied the customs office with officers going to look at the Hawk on the flatbed tow truck in the rain. I witnessed two people being turned away after custom officers asking why they were importing their cars. The only questions I got was did they built this car in Hamilton? What year is that? How many did they build? What the engine? Is that a Ford engine? NOPE and thanks It is a beautiful car!

Allen (glad to be back in the flock) Anderson

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

It is a

Congrats!!

I'm sure you'll get many years of fun out of it!

Craig

Reply to
Craig Parslow

Superb! Your description of the acquisition process reminds me of childbirth.... (That's not painless either ) Your comment about the trans may not be a shift problem, depending on the model trans you have. It may be a second gear start valve body. Unless you floor the gas pedal, or start out in low, the trans will stay in second gear to start. Just a thought. Glad your ride is home, and you have a new project to tinker around with! Jeff (packing and moving decades of tinkering) Rice

"Studebaker-r2-4-me wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Hi Allen,

Gald to hear you got the car, and that you're pleased with it. Don't sweat the small stuff. If that old gas doesn't smell too rotten, just filter it through a piece of chamois leather, and add it in small quantities to the fuel tank of your lawnmower, brandX car, or whatever, they key being to burn it off in short order, without allowing it to fester in the tank.

I can probably fix you up with a used ignition switch, but I won't be home for a week. Stude International has brand new ones.

You can get the ~2 inch fuel filler hose at a good local auto parts dealer, but you may have to buy several feet, and it's not cheap. I know that I will be needing some, so if you buy a length, maybe I could swap you an ignition switch for some.

Transmission shifting problems could be due to the throttle valve linkage rod being out of adjustment due to a sagging transmission mount. VERY common.

BTW, a good locksmith may be able to extract the broken key from your existing lock, or fix whatever damage was done.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

If you're in fire ant country, it works real good on the mounds...

It won't downshift into 1st because all the auto trannies are 2nd gear start.

Probably the accelerator pump in the carb and/or distributor bad vacuum advance.

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

of chamois

brandX car, or