Halogon Headlights not real bright

I installed two halogon headlights in my 64 Avanti.Last night comeing home from a cruise night show its the first time i used the headlights they seem to be a little dim.They are halogon sealbeams from auto zone.I installed a new dimmer switch some time ago.Any ideas what to check,i did not install any realys Thank you in advance for your help.

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

Halogen headlights pull too much power for the original Avanti wiring to handle. You really need to wire them though a relay and use heavier wire to the headlights. I think Bob Johnstone has a wiring schematic on his web site. See

Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

What do you consider Halogen Headlights? There are sealed beam units which you cannot distinguish from the old sealed beams. They give off slightly more light and actually reverse your floor mounted switch. High Beam becomes low, and low becomes high, unless you switch wires.

Other Halogen units, actually look like a seald beam, but you replace a bulb in it. Those give off a much more light, and should have a relay. Another choice is the new daylight bulbs, but you will need an alternator and relay as they really eat juice.

Reply to
Bill Glass

I just have the original style sealed beams in my Hawk and I am convinced they are brighter than any of my "modern" cars. Don't know why one would want to change them. MikeW

Mike Williams

Day-yam!!!

So that's why my indicator is on with low beam on the T-Cab. As Godfrey woul say, "SONOFABITCH!!!"

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The sealed beam halogons provide a stronger light but retain the same characteristics of the older units. Big improvement.

I agree that lights on modern plastic-O-mobiles suck big time..

JT

Mike Williams wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire