aftermarket headlights for '93 F-150

Hi all,

as you may know, I own a '93 F-150... which probably has the second worst headlights ever foisted on the American driving public, with no convenient European version to swap in. (the worst being the Volkswagen Corrado, but at least that vehicle is fixable simply by getting German-market headlights which are quite good.)

So anyway, my driver's side headlight is starting to show condensation inside the assembly, which says to me that a) the reflector is going to start to degrade soon, meaning that I'll be able to see even less at night than I was able to before, and b) I probably won't pass my next safety inspection without fixing this issue.

I am aware of two options currently - first, get some new stock replacement type lights from someone like rockauto, which isn't that expensive, but I have a very low opinion of the stock headlights. They seem to be very glaring to oncoming traffic even on low beam, and at the same time I don't feel that I can see particularly well at night, especially compared to the E-code headlights that I had on my old 944 (Cibie 7" reflectors with standard everyday Osram 55/60W bulbs)

Second, get some of the "crystal clear" aftermarket lights like those sold by various suppliers, example here:

(that's a donkulously expensive price, but if they actually work better than stock I'd be willing to make that sacrifice.)

Finally, I don't know where to get these, but just last night I saw a Ford truck with a similar body to mine that appeared to have BMW-style projector headlights installed in it. It looked like a pre-made aftermarket assembly. Does anyone know where to get these, and have any opinions on the performance of the various options that I have listed above?

thanks much,

nate

Reply to
N8N

try this stuff:

you can get it at west marine. penetrates the seal between the reflector and the lens and stops the moisture wicking in.

Reply to
jim beam

I had the same problem with my '99 F-150 I bought a set of lights, headlights and side lights off of E-Bay and I'm quite happy with them. The set came with high performance blue bulbs. My truck has 200,000 miles on it, runs great but needed paint. So, a new paint job and I'm replacing all the chrome, it looks great. If you go to "F150online.com" my name is "RoninFlayou'll see the truck.."

Reply to
75yrs.experience

my searching skillz must not be too good... which ones did you use, the "crystal clear" ones? I know one guy who used them and said they were better than the stock ones at least but I wondered if the projector ones I saw were better yet.

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Drill a hole in the bottom of each lens. No, really. I kept blowing bulbs and read that it was moisture inside the headlight which caused it. Making a hole, allowing moisture to drain solved the problem. Although it is still a crappy headlight!

Reply to
Molesworth

draining helps, but it's better to stop the water getting in in the first place. use that wicking sealant i mentioned to nate, and the problem disappears.

Reply to
jim beam