HELP!!

I'm new to this group, but not new to resto projects. My son and I were given (what we were told) was a 1956 Packard Clipper. We got it home, checked it out, I did some research about replacement parts. I found several places that had all that we needed.We completly removed all of the front and rear suspension. Then we took out the engine and transmission. Still thinking this was a 56 Packard Clipper. When I went to order all of the front end parts, I was told this actually is a STUDEBAKER! I tried telling the guy on the phone" my car says Packard Clipper" all over it . The Pink Slip said 1956 Packard, I told him he didn't have a clue about what he was talking about. He laughed and insisted it wasn't a Packard. My son asked me "now what do we do"? I told him I don't know now. Did Studebaker make "Packard" cars, and if so, how do I tell where Packard left off, and Studebaked take over. I'd hate like hell to buy alot of parts for a Packard and get them home only to find they don't fit. Do I buy Packard , or Studebaker replacement parts, and for what model? The vin plate on the left front door post starts out 57L snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
larry

The 57L means that it is a 1957 Packard Clipper, which indeed really is a Studebaker mechanically.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Packard bought Studebaker in 1954 and made REAL Packards thru 1956. Then they made "Packardbakers" '57 and '58. These were very fancy Studebakers with Packard name plates. Then they stopped making "Packards". All the mechanical parts and most of the body parts for the car you have are Studebaker. Obviously, the grille, dash, upholstery, trim and name plates are not, but you can feel safe buying mechanical parts for Studebakers. My advice is to join SDC

and get on the Forum as well as here. Studebaker guys are notorious for helping in any way we can. Just ask.

I'll be happy to send pix of both the "Packard" and Studebaker for '57 so you can see the differences and similarities. But where they REALLY got wierd was '58 when "Packards" had DUAL rear fins!

Good luck!

John

Reply to
fieronut

Larry, you don't happen to live in Wallace Idaho do you?

Reply to
Dwain G.

join the Packard club also to cover all your bases.

Reply to
oldcarfart