(OT) Adding Acetone to gasoline to boost MPG???

Has anyone here actually tried this? You can find tons of opinions on the web both for and against this. Some claim huge increases in fuel economy, others claim that it will ruin gaskets and seals. I am skeptical of this, and won't try it unless someone on this group tells me they have tried it and had a positive experience.

Rob

53 Commander
Reply to
StuartDBaker

Acetone is more corrosive than alcohol, to rubber. So your fuel pump diaphragm is at risk, as well as anything else, hoses, etc. Is it worth the risk?

Reply to
Bob Johnstone

Acetone evaporates so quickly that I find it hard to believe that it would help your mileage despite the many claims (however well researched). I would think it would merely evaporate out of your tank vent as you drove.

Reply to
zoombot

No way I would try it in my fuel system because all rubber hoses, diaphragms, and gaskets would be ruined in short order. Save it for nail polish removal.

Reply to
Barry

I see you've gotten quite a few speculative responses so let me toss in my actual experience. However, not with acetone, but with toluene. I cannot recommend Acetone. I use a lot of Acetone in my plastisol business and it is easily the strongest and most volatile solvent generally available. Like others, I would not recommend it as a gasoline additive.

When I owned my Audi V8, I belonged to the local Audi club. We used my license with a local chemical distributor to purchase 55 gallon drums of toluene. Of course, this came after lots of experimentation. To the drum, we'd add 1 gallon of diesel and 1 qt of either ATF or 2 cycle oil. We'd add from 1qt to 1 gallon per 16-20 gallon tank. It would raise the octane level from approximately 92 to, in my case, 93.5. My Audi V8 had a knock sensor that would retard timing if the engine was not getting enough octane. Since Washington State only offers 92 octane, my car was always retarded....:-) Afterwards, I swear it made a huge difference.

I've used this mixture in my 64 Avanti R-1 with great success. I can really tell the difference. I get my 90 4-door back from the tranny shop tomorrow and will get the first chance to drive it with the 383 stroker motor (at least with a properly operating tranny). I'm anxious to see if my homemade octance booster will make a difference. The 383 is actually running lower compression (9.4) than the R-1 (10.25).

If anyone would like further info, email me offline and I'll forward them a compilation of emails answering some questions about toluene.

Cheers, Rich

Richard Morris Renton, WA

1964 Avanti R-1 #5367 1990 Avanti 4-door #78 Email: RichardMoratAOLdotcom
Reply to
Rich