OT - evilBay Tucker - Bogus or not?

Check the answers to bidders questions at the bottom of the auction page.

I think the guy is blowing smoke about the Oldsmobile frame, and the last Tuckers not having motors.

zoombot

I wouldn't touch it. You can get answers regarding motive source off the line, I expect, or at an automotive library.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Haas

Nice Stude next to it. I wonder if it came off of the assembly line with an engine, etc.?

Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab

According to the Tucker club website, the car is real. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Real or not... I am not at all impressed with the detailing of the interior or engine compartment. A car of this stature requires it. You would think that a collector (of means) such as Jay Leno would have scarfed this car up years ago.

Ray

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

Reply to
Studeman

Got a link, George? I couldn't find anything of the sort on the Tucker website.

Reply to
zoombot

Try this one then click on a picture of the car you want to see info. about.

George

Reply to
Studebaker George

all Tuckers well accounded for and I do believe many "display" models lacked drivetrain as he attempted to raise $$$$$, wasn't that part of his downfall???

Reply to
oldcarfart

I saw that, George - but the owner "Will" posted that himself. I'm referring to proof outside of his say-so, you know - verification by someone with authority.

The eBay seller has posted stuff all over the net about this Tucker claiming it's all the truth, but what I've found is that the first Tucker was built on an Olds chassis - not the 46th.

Think I'll check with Stan Gilliland owns Auburn-Cord Parts in Wellington, Kansas. Stan restored many of the Tuckers extant, and helped Mr. Coppola gather the Tuckers for the movie. Stan also worked on both of the Tuckers that Coppola owns, and the two that George Lucas owns.

Reply to
zoombot

Reply to
Barry

I recall that car in the mid-seventies that showed up at a Studebaker meet in Vernon, B.C, and again at the International Meet in Portland in 1993. The car is legitimate, and the engine and dash swap were in place back then, and it appears exactly the same way I saw it in 1977 other than a couple of items.

Craig

Reply to
studebaker8

As rare as Tuckers are they deserve special attention, and I agree with Ray this car ought to go to someone with the deep pockets who can care for it properly like a Leno.

But...

If this car really was sold without a drivetrain and and it's always been much like it is now, with that Old's engine, the aftermarket AC and 2nd rate interior what IS the right thing to do with it?

If you found an original drivetrain (good luck!) and rebuilt the car as it would have been as Tucker Motors would have finished it would that really be restoring it? The car was never like that to begin with!

What would be the difference between doing something like that and buying an early Avanti II, putting in a Studebaker engine, restoring the rake and calling it a Studebaker Avanti? (aside from the not so minor detail of the manufactures plate).

Jeff DeWitt

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Well - apparently the Tucker is legit. There are new questions on the auction page, and the seller mentioned a previous owner - Nick Jenin.

I Googled that up and found lots of stuff about him - he owned several racetracks and had the bucks. He modified the Tucker in '62 when it was only 16 years old - not yet a collectible. It was for HIS DAUGHTER to drive!!!!!!!

Parts and engines are available from other Tucker collectors, so hopefully someone will want to return it to original form.

Reply to
zoombot

Ahh, got the details from the horses mouth so to speak...

"Tucker #1046 is certainly no fake but does have a very interesting history.

In the 1950's a man by the name of Nick Jenin started to purchase anything "Tucker" that he could find. He ended up owning 10 Tuckers, several engines, test chassis, and assorted memorabilia. He took these cars around the country and displayed them at fairs, auto shows, armories and civic centers.

He decided he wanted to have a Tucker that he could drive all the time so he removed the chassis and engine and displayed those in his show. He then placed the body of Tucker #1046 onto an Oldsmobile chassis with a front engine. Remember that the car was only 16 years old and considered a novelty rather than a collectible.

In 1963 Mr. Jenin sold Tucker #1046 to an Oregon Mercury dealer who decided to place a new 1964 Mercury chassis and engine under the car. They used it to promote his dealership for years. Later they became very involved with preserving the Tucker story by being a member of the Tucker Automobile Club of America. Due to health problems the car was offered for sale in June 2002 at the Las Vegas Kruse Auction held at the Mandalay Bay I am a spammer.

The new owners of this car are very enthusiastic and have been busy working toward bringing the car back to original or as close to it as possible. With the 1964 front engine they are able to drive and enjoy the car.

In fact, for the 2003 Tucker convention in Grand Rapids MI they drove their car extensively and it was showcased in the lobby of Celebration Cinema for a special screening of the movie "Tucker: The Man and His Dream".

During the convention's special "Tucker Motorcar Day" at the Gilmore Car Museum near Kalamazoo the owners gave countless rides in it.

TACA is very thankful that we have owners so interested in preserving history that they are willing to go ?above and beyond? in sharing their rare car with others. If you are lucky to meet the owners of #1046 and hear their enthusiasm you will agree that they are the saviors of an remarkable automobile.

Best Regards,

Jay A. Follis - Director

Tucker Historical Collection and Library

at the GILMORE CAR MUSEUM"

7&highlight=oldsmobile

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I am the owner of this car. There are many people that know the history and many that don't. This has brought up many discussions as to whether it is a fake. I'm glad to see that some did some research and saw that it is real. I have been a member of the Tucker club for 5 years now and much of the information that I have on the car was told to me by the club members. As for detailing the car. We had the seats reupolstered to look like the original Tucker interior. It used to have the 64 Mercury interior on the seats when we got it. The rest of the interior is original except for the Mercury dash. It is detailed and looks nice in person. The engine compartment is also detailed the best that it can be without the engine being taken out. It is very presentable and is the show stopper at car shows.

Thank you,

Will

Reply to
willbready News Account

"Mandalay Bay I am a spammer" WHAT?? lou

Reply to
Larkylou

And as for blowing smoke. It first had a new 1950 Oldmsobile chassis and in

1964 a new Mercury chassis was installed by the second owner. It did originally have a Tucker suspension and frame. It just didn't have the engine and transmission. I am being extra careful to be tell all the facts exactly as the Tucker club has told me. The last thing I want to do is misrepresent the car.

Thank you,

Will

I think that was in the quote that he got from the Tucker web site. It is to keep spammers from using his email address.

Reply to
willbready News Account

Hi Will, You should come by here more often. This is pretty much what goes on here all the time. Alot of arguing goes on back and forth, but eventually the truth comes out. And we all learned something interesting. Perhaps you need to buy a good Studebaker after all this. We argue about them all the time too. Whats factory, whats not. But we always learn something about them too.

Malcom "willbready News Account" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

Will,

Glad you found us and are trying to set us straight, we are really just curious about the car, as you can imagine unusual cars get our attention!

The description on the Tucker Club website seems to say it did originally have a Tucker engine,

"He decided he wanted to have a Tucker that he could drive all the time so he removed the chassis and engine and displayed those in his show."

7&highlight=oldsmobile So you can understand our confusion!

After things settle down you might consider a Studebaker, they get almost as much attention as a Tucker and a LOT cheaper!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

My first car was a Studebaker and I used to belong to the club. I have owned a few through the years and love them.

Reply to
willbready News Account