A/C parts wanted

Anyone have parts for this aftermarket A/C setup?

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Also, does anyone have a pic of a Vintage Air installation? I suspect it may be similar but I can't seem to find a good pic.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

here I go replying to myself again... couldn't find a pic, but I was looking in their catalog when I should have been looking in "downloads" section...

based on the line drawing it appears that the VA setup is a mod of the factory bracket to accept a Sanden compressor and move the idler over to the pass. side to get rid of the mickey mouse double water pump pulley. Therefore it probably won't work for me for two reasons, 1) it won't fit without grinding away the same part that was interfering on the factory bracket and 2) I'm pretty sure that the factory bracket sat higher than the aftermarket one and that there was a possible hood clearance issue. I know that there was one with the stock engine mounts; I was going to test fit it with the R3 mounts until I realized I couldn't mount it anymore now that I'd corrected the thermostat housing.

BUT...

it sure looks like the VA tensioner would be very, very easily modified to work on my aftermarket bracket (much easier than anything I saw in JP's garage,) leaving me to only fabricate the generator strap (actually, now, alternator strap.)

Thoughts?

will definitely be calling VA on Monday to see if they will just sell me little pieces parts... and hoping that this won't force me to remove my P/S (although if it did, I have MOST of a Saginaw manual steering setup; missing only the actual steering shaft. Actually I have it, it's just been butchered...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I like Ray's set up better:

It uses your generator bracket.

Lee

Lee Aanderud

There's good and bad points to both.

Since I actually have the aftermarket bracket, it seems to me that I'd have to do less fabrication to make my current setup work (I also have finally located and mounted the elusive A/C crank pulley.)

The one thing that looks weird about Ray's setup is the fact that the A/C belt is driving everything, including the alternator. I know that this has been discussed before, so I'm not trying to start a big discussion about this again, but I think I'd *prefer* to not do it like that if I don't have to.

nate

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate,

That idler/tensioner bracket looks EXACTLY like an aftermarket (4 Seasons, I think) bracket I purchased to use on my '64 OHV 6 when I put a/c on it. Email me if you want me to get you the part number.

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Nate, I am using one of the aftermarket brackets you have shown on my

62 Daytona. I have seen quite a few of them over the years. I like them for the same reason you are considering using one; it doesn't drive around the water pump pulley. The idler pulley is a common off the shelf unit you can buy at any REAL (not awfulzone type) auto parts store. My bracket has a four hole mount for the water pump manifold and can be used with either the early or late manifold. I use an adapter to mount the Sanden compressor to it that is about thirty bucks at Vintage or Classic. I took a small section out of part of my bracket for the heater hose outlet that gets moved to the driver side by either finding an AC water manifold or drilling and tapping one that has the boss there. The Vintage bracket bolts the Sanden directly to it so it gives you a tad more clearance as you don't have the additional bracket. The idler pulley setup they use is also a common pulley with their own separate little bracket. The best compressor to use is the rear discharge Sanden that is a (you will like this) VW application. They are only about two hundred thirty bucks new. you can also use the "top" discharge Sanden if you rotate it ninety degrees and point the hoses out the side. The compressors don't care if you mount them that way. I think I also have an engine with one of those brackets on it on the floor for a future project; if you want some pics let me know... Studebaker George
Reply to
Studebaker George

If you can get some better detail pics of the important parts from your engine since it is not in the car I would greatly appreciate it! the ones I posted are the best I have, and at this point I only have the bracket and the crank pulley.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If you have the bracket and the crank pulley, you have the hard stuff. Only thing I can see that may or may not mess with you is the hood clearance; I can measure the one in the Daytona that has the Sanden and adapter and then the one on the floor that still has the dinosaur on it for heights. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

George,

the pics on my web site are of another '55 coupe whose owner was nice enough to take pictures. the A/C was installed on there when he bought it, so I know that it has clearance. that is the primary reason I want to make the aftermarket bracket work because I know I have clearance.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've been wondering if anyone has tried something like Ray's setup except using a two pulley alternator and running the compressor off the second pulley on the alternator?

Jeff DeWitt

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I dunno, all I know is my alternator belt squeaks anyway (I think it is a worn pulley on the alternator) so I'd expect it to be screaming driving the A/C.

If anyone wants to try it, I actually have a double pulley for a Delco alternator...

nate

Reply to
N8N

My old '85 F*rd LTD (jr) had a double pulley on the power steering pump and it drove the compressor. Never had an issue.

JT

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
Chuck Collins

Those are very nice pictures Chuck...

Lansing

To e-mail me remove the X from my E - address...

Reply to
Lansing Small