Piston clearance

My machine shop called me today and asked for the piston clearance for a 289 I am having him bore. No hipo job, just a standard .030 overbore and new pistons from one of our vendors. The pistons came in a no name box. I recon that the .0015-.002 spec is correct? Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

dwcars

I suppose these are cast. I know that the forged ones use as high as .

009 clearance a (and most rattle some) and the better piston makers include their specs. Since the factory basically calls for the .0015-. 002 I recon I will tell him to be on the loose end of the spectrum where I like 'em. Studebaker George

message

Reply to
Studebaker George

George -

It's generally 0.0015 - 0.002 per inch of piston diameter. So if your piston is, say, 3-inches diameter, it would be 0.0045 - 0.006 total clearance.

Frank Starr Seattle

Reply to
fstarr

The good manufacturer's specify the clearance, >>andI suppose these are cast. I know that the forged ones use as high as .

message

Reply to
Dan Timberlake