ported or manifold vacuum advance for an R1?

subject says all... was just experimenting with my car today and it seems to idle smoother and faster on manifold vacuum... I can't get any more advance on the dist (it's already kicking back when I start it) and it seems to like it so well that before it is fully warmed up it'll idle at 800 RPM on the idle ports only (butterflies fully closed) I did look at a real R1 carburetor and the vacuum port appears to be tied to the transfer port on that side, so ported is "correct" - just curious why?

My vacuum numbers still suck (or more correctly, suck weakly) at idle BTW but I have not played with static timing yet. They are slightly better with the advance on manifold vacuum however so I don't think there's anything to be had there.

nate

Reply to
N8N

BTW I did try the "hose-stethoscope" to check for vacuum leaks and didn't seem to notice any (you can really hear the valvetrain and exhaust pulses though!) and also the idle screws seem to cause a lean drop at about 1.5-2 turns out so I don't think I have a vacuum leak.

nate

Reply to
N8N