Tips for preparing a '50 2R5 for daily use?

I have recently inherited a '50 2R5 that was, when it came into my possession, in the final stages of an engine rebuild & 12-volt conversion. I have decided to use this vehicle as my daily driver for personal transportation and light-duty cargo hauling. In the interest of making my truck more dependable, convenient/"user-friendly," and (most importantly) safer as a every-day vehicle, are there any modifications/upgrades I should make? Are there any known deficiencies in these trucks I need to be aware of?

For example, I am completing the 12-volt conversion to provide brighter headlights for safety reasons, but also to allow the convenience of a modern (but stealth-installed) stereo. I intend to install a disc brake system once the current, stock system is in need of a rebuild. I am also converting the wipers to electric operation, again for both safety and convenience reasons. But is there anything else I should do? Suspension modifications? Steering modifications? Et cetera, et cetera?

Thanks for the guidance; while I've been fiddling with (modern) engines and tractors and whatnot since I was a young'n (which, admittedly, wasn't that long ago), I'm relativity new to the whole vintage auto world.

Thanks again.

-Dutch

Reply to
Dutch

Is it a six or an 8? Does it have overdrive? If it doesn't the best thing you can do is add overdrive. You will also want to add electronic ignition, the points they make these days aren't worth much.

If it's a V8 you might also want to consider converting to an Edelbrock

4bbl carburetor, the truck will be peppier and get get better gas mileage.

Of course you will also want to add seat belts!

Jeff DeWitt

Dutch wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

IIRC a 2R5 would be a Champion six, the one thing it could really use is more power. Bill Cathcart is the usual go-to guy for all things fast and Champion. I don't really know a whole lot about them but I would suspect that a higher compression aluminum head, a 2bbl carb, or else a dual carb setup, and a split exhaust would be the logical first steps.

Disc brakes are good, but if you can find a set of late-model Champ pickup drums (not sure which years) at some point they went to the same self-energizing type brakes as the passenger cars, OR I have heard that V-8 car backing plates can be redrilled to fit the stock truck spindles (retaining the stock drums)

Probably the first thing to do to make it a nice driver would be to get it up in the air and hit all the grease fittings with some fresh grease, change all the fluids (engine oil, gear lube in the tranny, rear, and steering box, brake fluid, coolant) and see if any issues show up that need attention. Stude trucks never had power steering so keeping everything well lubed is very important for driver happiness.

good luck,

nate

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sorry, I guess I should have included that info. :) Yep,it's a six-banger. The truck has a little 169 c.i.d. Champ 6, and a three-speed with OD (although the overdrive is not currently hooked up).

Yeah, about that; is there any particular place to which I should be bolting these? Is there anything in particular I need to do to reinforce the surface to which they're being fastened (or do I just toss some big fender washers under the bolt heads on the back of the mounting surface and call it good?)

Damn, this newsgroup is an invaluable resource! How in the hell did you old farts manage to get along before the proliferation of the Internet?

-Dutch

Reply to
Dutch

Hook up the overdrive and if it works properly just use it. Those are good solid units (my personal experience notwithstanding) and it's a lot easier and cheaper to use what you have than start converting things. Keep in mind that it IS a five speed, and that conversion really won't gain you very much.

You can get a Pertronix ignition kit for about $100. No more changing points, no more timing changes due to the wear of the points, no more points breaking and leaving you stuck. If you get the coil they suggest you will also have a hotter spark and should get at least a bit better mileage and performance.

Directions come with the kit, and they come with heavy duty bolts and washers that are more substantial then fender washers. It's a pretty easy job.

I've often wondered the same thing, and I was messing with these beasts back then!

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

I have a 2R6 converted to a 289 V8 because of big 6 failure. The first thing I did after the V8 was install a dual master cylinder kit from Jim Turner. Makes for better safety than the original single cylinder.

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Hi, I have a 1951 2R5 that had been converted to a 232 CI V8 when I bought it in 1974. Yep, that's 32 years as a daily driver. Due to the elapsed time, and the 650,000 miles that I put on it since I started using it makes me 1) a bit crazy, 2) stuck in the 50's and 3) easily recognizable to friends, family and half the population of Santa Cruz, California.

I would be happy to share my 3 decades of Studebaker truck driving. Please feel free to call or email.

The truck is now running a 62- 289 V8, 3 spd overdrive transmission, and stops with the excellent disc brake conversion from Turner brakes. I have maintained much of the original bodywork, but during the last paint job I did move the tail lights to custom units on the flat panel under the tail gate (this makes the 4th time it has had a new coat of Red. I find that 91 Jeep Cherokee red is a near perfect match to the orginal color).

I converted to 16" radial tires a few years back, and find that the ride and handling is much improved.

I still have the stock bench seats, but after a mear 29 years of riding on them I finally decided to install bucket seats. I found that the seats from a Dodge Dakota work very well. Much more comfortable, but they don't recline quite enough due to the headrest. I can fill you in on other options that I have found at another time.

Congratulations, using the truck as it was designed is a great joy. You'll love it

GIve me a call sometime

831 336-3621 home office 831 566-3381 cell

Have fun, Allen

Reply to
Allen Siekman