'00 Outback Wag. - Easy to replace Head-Unit of stereo?

Hello, I am on the verge of buying a new Head-Unit for my '00 OBW because Subaru was too backwards to put a cd player in my car when I bought it. I would like to know if it is easy or not to replace the stock stereo with the one that I will purchase? I'm not interested in paying for the whole installation.

Thanks.

Reply to
Madison MacLard

Hello there!

Did it on my 2000 Legacy wagon (same basic car...), took me 1.5 hour to do it, .5 inside and one in the car. I then installed new speakers as the new radio showed how defficient the stock speakers were... :) I used the instructions here:

One thing: Spend the money and get a wiring harness for the car, which cost me 10$US at the local car radio store: Your new radio will come with a plug that's different than the one in the car, so you buy a female plug that fits with the car and connect that with the new radio's male plug so you can just plug the new radio in as if it were made for the car :) . May sound silly but I much preferred matching my new radio's wiring with the harness' wiring on the kitchen table than cutting and splicing tha car's wires.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

Hello,

I recently did that in my 2001 LL Bean. I had an Alpine cd head unit and a

12 disc changer I had removed from another car. Bought the wiring harness from Crutchfield. They sent me their "Mastersheet" with instructions on how to get into the dash and all that. Did speakers through them also.

One thing: You may find that after installing your head unit that your radio reception is really really bad. Mine was. Apparently in some Subies, the antenna has to be 'amplified' by a 12 Volt power source. Use the power antenna lead in your wiring harness. Connect this as if you have a power antenna. I did not at first since I do not have a power antenna, but then tried this and it works perfectly. Found that hint on the nsioc site I think it was.

in article qRXGc.177$Ko1.12552@localhost, Madison MacLard at madmac snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 7/7/04 3:04 PM:

Reply to
Jon Macey