Stereo in Australian Maxima

Hi All,

I have a 98 Maxima. I have a question about the factory stereo system. I'm not sure if it is the Bose that is mentioned in this group a lot (it doesn't say Bose anywhere, the car is an Australian model).

It consists of a CD player unit mounted underneath a head unit. The head unit is an AM/FM tuner/cassette player.

To turn the head unit on, you twist the volume knob (top left) and it "clicks" on. When you press "play" on the CD player it powers up the CD player and selects the CD player as the input source on the head unit. Powering off the head unit does not power off the CD player.

What I want to know is, how difficult is it to replace the CD player only with another unit? Is it a standard size? How do I get it out and the new one in? How does the CD player get the head unit to switch its input source to the CD player?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce.

Reply to
James Harvey

From what you describe, it's definitely not the Bose system. Sounds lik the base stereo unit from Nissan. It would help if you had some pics of your dash. Or,goto crutchfield.com. They have a car configurator on the web site which will tell you what types of radios will fit in your dash.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Detailed Bose info; follow the links

Buy new radi&player, 100-200$ and you have better than original, even with usb etc.

Reply to
Wiikinki

Thanks Cofus, crutchfield.com is a useful resource.

Reply to
James Harvey