'01 OBW head gaskets

I'd smelled something for the last couple of days, so took it in and they told me one of the head gaskets was leaking. Warranty repair. Should I have had the other one replaced at the same time?

Reply to
John Rethorst

My thinking is that what goes wrong on one side is more likely to go wrong on the other. If the engine has been disassembled enough to replace one, labor costs to replace the other at the same time will be much lower. The warranty wouldn't cover the other gasket, since it wasn't leaking, but why wait for the engine to spring a leak?

Or - head gaskets on Subies don't generally spring leaks? There was a recent thread here about leaks on '02 Outbacks. Does the '01 share the problem?

Thanks,

Reply to
John Rethorst

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I would suspect the failed gasket to be the one on the left aft side. This is the typ location I'm told. Subaru is on their third design and I'm told it is much improved over the original. If it were me and it was recently, I'd replace both.

I believe the normal practice is to pull the engine. Depending upon how many miles you have, I'd give thought to having the engine completely resealed. While the engine is out, it is much easier to replace various seals and gaskets than otherwise. Specially thinking about rear main seal. Again depending upon mileage would also give thought to replacing the timing belt and water pump.

I had to foot the complete bill for my repair and it cost me $1300 for both gaskets and all new seals at an independent subaru shop.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Knowledgeable and helpful advice. Thanks.

Reply to
John Rethorst