Leaking Head Gaskets

Hi - I just found this group after looking for some info about leaking head gaskets. I have a 2004 Legacy GT Limited that has 44kms on it. I took it in for a regular service and the mechanic said that both of the head gaskets are leaking. I had no indication of this (ie no overheating, etc) but now I am worried about the life of my car. Obviously, they will be replaced under warranty but now I am wondering, do I get rid of the car? Will it be constant trouble from now on? If I keep it, I will buy the extended warranty for sure but I really like the car so this makes me a little sad - any suggestions as to what to ask the dealer about, etc? Anything else I should get them to do besides replace the gaskets? They had to order the gaskets in so I am hoping they will be able to get replaced sometime this week. Thanks.

~Denise~

Reply to
BestNurse

Hi,

If the gaskets are covered under warranty, you should be good to go after they're replaced. Subaru's gone thru several generations of head gaskets (as have MANY other manufacturers, for all those who want to jump on Subie gaskets!) to find something that lasts, and you should be getting the latest.

While many people complain of leaking factory headgaskets (both here and on other auto forums I've visited), few, if any, report failures of their replacement gaskets. I think I'd sleep fine if I were you after your car's fixed!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Yeah, I asked my boss why he had a rental the other day and he said his truck was getting a head gasket - the second one!

Ford diesel, I think he has some miles on it but likely less than 100K - I dunno, i guess I'm not very nosy about stuff like that. His previous Ford diesel blew its tranny at 30K miles.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Saab owners have had to use a solid copper head gasket to stop the failures - my motorhead brother put it in his turbo engine during his third replacement and it seems to have fixed the problem. I don't know if the factory ever went to them.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hi,

Years back, Toyota truck owners tweaking turboed 22Rs often went to the same fix!

Some research on "head gaskets" will reveal the gasket manufacturers have pulled out a lot of hair in recent years trying to come up with lasting gaskets as we demand more and more of our engines!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright