94 Lincoln Continental stumbling running rough at idle

Does anyone know what the problem / problems maybe in a 1994 continental w

3.8L. Just had the head gaskets replaced on this car. Heads cleaned up, new plugs, wires, and cap, rotor, fuel pump replaced. But the car does not idle smooth!

Mechanic is scratching his head! Does not want to throw parts on it if does not fixed. He drove it on the highway up to 60 miles an hour and back down to 30 ( apparently to reset computer, but still idles rough. However driving around normally it runs great. Any ideas or is there something to be done to reset?

T.I.A.

Reply to
The Hartlings

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Perhaps a wrong intake gasket or hose left off. Does it run smooth above an idle? You didn't happen to get any help from ford on the head gasket issue did you? We just had ours done, but the car only has 29,000 miles on it. There was a warranty extension on this issue, but they said ford is sticking rigidly to the extension parameters, which we were obviously out of by time.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Reply to
deadbeat

I had the same thing happen after replacing head gaskets. Turned out it was one of the o2 sensors. They can be damaged from coolant leaking past the head gaskets. But your mechanic probably already checked that. Also could be a vacumn hose. I had one rot out. It ran from some thingamajiggy on the top right/center of the engine down to a junction in front of the radiator. 12" hose replaced. Fixed the problem.

Good Luck Jersey Jim

Reply to
JerseyJim