02 Legacy 2.0l power problem

In the last 2 months I've noticed a marked drop off in power (top end power). Its not as noticable just driving the car alone, but with my big trailer, I used to be able to pull it happily at 60mph but now struggle above 40. On my last 1000mile trip at the outset all seemed basically ok though a little sluggish but over the outward 500miles the performance dropped off remarkably. I removed the air filter to allow me to get back and which improved performance, but it wasn't dirty/blocked etc- and its still not right. I usually get 25mpg when towing but have been getting 15mpg recently. The engine had a basic service in July (oil+filters) and after that was doing 39mpg on a long gentle run (w/out trailer) (the best I've ever got out of it) and even now the engine idles and runs very smooth and although near winter still 28-30mpg. Car has done 50000 miles. I have run a tank with cinjector cleaner recently too.

When you push the revs above say 3000, 1) you need to give lots of right foot and 2) its much more lethargic than it was.

So what may cause this? my thoughts are:

plug gaps widened? they are due for a change, but no misfiring though- always starts fine exhaust problem? no leaks and sounds just the same but wondered if some internal baffle may have failed Sensor gone off? perhaps a sensor is giving a strange reading making the mixture far too rich?

I'm taking it to the dealers to have a diagnostics check done, but I don't want the dealer changing and tinkering with allsorts unnecessarily.

Cliff

Reply to
Cliff Top

You don't say if you have a CEL. Maybe Engine Temp Sensor, explains good starting and poor gas mileage. Maybe bad cat. conv. - though 50K is early for that failure.

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

by CEL I assume you mean check engine light. No I'm not getting any indicators coming up. I have seen a couple of times a year ago the engine light/poor combustion light blinking, but not recently..

Engine temp... well I acknowledge pulling hard would raise temp... the water temp gauge doesn't change though.!

cheers Cliff

Reply to
Cliff Top

suggest replacing the air filter, prolly good idea to replace the sparkplugs as well. Both are do it yourself items, though changing the plugs is somewhat of a pain to do.

Reply to
fish6525

Not sure this will help, but maybe... Try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 15 mins. Copy down the radio data, as this will all go away when you pull the plug on the battery... If you are in a state that mandates the change in Nov of fuel additives, most people notice a decrease in MPG's.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka