Is this a good deal on a 2007 Legacy SE?

I was offered this deal on a 2007 Legacy Special Edition:

MSRP: $22,735.00 SALE PRICE: $20,977.00 REBATE: $ 750.00 TITLE FEE: $ 10.00 LICENSE FEE: $ 29.50 PROCESSING FEE : $ 99.00 ONLINE DMV FEE: $ 10.00 FOG KIT / SPLASH GRD: $ 425.00 TAXES: $ 687.83 ______________________________________ TOTAL DUE $21,488.33

The salesman agreed to wave the processing fee and I also found out the car has auto-dimming mirror/compass free of charge. Do you think this is a good deal or should I try to do better?

Reply to
David

Is it *possible* to pay less? I guess it often is. Looks reasonable to me though. Especially the tax part. Where do you live?

Reply to
David

I live in southern Virginia.

Reply to
David

A regional dealer is a "no dicker sticker" type, and that looks close to their standard deal

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

What does "no dicker sticker" mean?

Reply to
David

The price posted on the car, is the price you pay. Similar to how Saturn sells. They reduced the sales staff to a minimum. They say they are making more money then before

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I bought the car today for an even better price. Another dealer called me and offered about $900 lower and my local dealer matched it. My total out the door cost is $20,500 (including tax, title, etc) which is about $1,000 less than invoice. Do you think I did well?

Reply to
David

What do you mean by "roped into dealer installed options?" The car they got for me will have to have the fog lights and splash guards installed at the dealership, but they said they wouldn't charge me for that. Also, what is "undercoating?"

Reply to
David

I think you can rest easy knowing you did quite well. Any time you're under invoice, and there are no factory to dealer incentives involved, and you don't get roped into any dealer installed options or undercoating or such, you're eating into the dealer's holdback money (3% for Subaru's at least back in 01) that they'll get from the factory upon sale, and you're typically into "good deal" territory.

The dealer I bought from made 1.9% profit ($492) on my car. Started at invoice+$50 thanks to my credit union's membership in carquotes.com, then I had them throw in a car top carrier (dealer cost of $292), and settled there. Had 2 dealers beating on each other for it, and when I got to the point where one dealer wouldn't go for it, I also had some comfort that I was in good deal territory.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Cool.

Dealer side rust proofing, generally regarded as high profit margin and quite unnecessary.

Reply to
Todd H.