Power Steering Problem?

Hello There,

I have a Peugeot 207 1.4 16V (90BHP), it has 3000 miles on the clock, and I am having a little issue with it.

It has Electric Power Steering Assistance, and it is horrible. I am not sure if it is just me, but when I go around a round-a-bout anything above 20 mph, it just cuts all feel, and i have to do a full lock on the steering wheel to actually turn??? Then all of a sudden the feeling comes back, and im hurteling towards the curb, or a post!

I was getting used to it, but it seems to be getting worse?! It is horrible, and its putting me off the car completely.

Can anyone please help?!

Reply to
ajvdberg

That sounds dangerous; I'd go to your dealer (it must still be under warranty) and get them to check it out. If they say it is correct, as to try another car (they should have a demonstrator kicking around) to verify it.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

I heard about a similar thing happen with a friends 206 1.4LX (51 plate), she was about to trade it in for another car as nobody could diagnose it... and then it got written off in an accident on the motorway. She got sideswiped by an idiot in a BMW 3 series in the outside lane avoiding a stationary queue of traffic and thinking he had got infront of her when he changed lanes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

that's a hell of a drastic way to get your steering sorted out :o) GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Yer, it has been booked in for Friday. Car was bought brand new in September, so it has 3 years warranty on it.

Hopefully will get it sorted then! Thanks

"ajvdberg" wrote

Reply to
ajvdberg

BMW Drivers....:S lol

Yeh im hoping they can sort it out, not sure what i?ll do if they say they cant find anything, because it is horrible and dangerous, and i cant drive like that.

Thanks anyhow mate, A

"Chris Dugan" wrote

Reply to
ajvdberg

From hard-won (and very, very expensive) experience with Peugeot:-

  1. Insist on a copy of the job card after the work is done. This is a record for you of them having looked at it. By default most Peugeot dealers will try to avoid giving you this - one even tried to claim to me that I had no right to have it as the work was being paid for under warranty!
  2. If they say there is no fault, then insist on trying an equivalent model for them to demonstrate that this is normal for that model (it is always possible that they have a feel that you can't get on with, in which case the only solution is to buy another car with properly designed steering).
  3. If they say there is no fault and the steering is working perfectly, insist that they put that in writing, and ask them to have the car examined by Peugeot as you consider it unsafe to drive.
  4. You may have to get a report from an independent motor vehicle engineer stating that it is unsafe - that will cost you money but will be invaluable when (if) it comes to taking action against Peugeot.

At all points, make sure you have written records, because from my experience (and that of many others), Peugeot will _not_ act honourably and you may well need those records if it comes to court action.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

Thanks a lot mate, that is really helpful.

I can really look at buying a new car at the moment, as I am paying it off, so if I sell it now I am losing a lot of money!

Thanks

"Matthew Haigh" wrote

Reply to
ajvdberg

Hiya,

Took my car in yesterday, but the guy said he will need to take the car and drive it continuously, but he said because im only 18 I cant get a courtesy car...Does anyone know what age you have to be for them to be able to give you a courtesy car?

The guy said I am the 2nd person with a issue like that, but he cant do much untill he experiences it, and I need the car for work, so stuck in a loop really

"ajvdberg" wrote

Reply to
ajvdberg

As a guess the age for a courtesy car would vary between garages, as a guess most would be 21, but I bet there are some that are 25. Its all down to insurance costs.

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones