02 Legacy Qs?

Hi,

We just picked up an 02 Legacy L Wagon with 77k on it. So far, so good, but I do have a couple of questions:

The only thing that lights up on the driver's door is the power window switch that says "AUTO" - should the mirror controls light up? They look like they do - but I'm no rush to tear the door panel off if I don't need to.

Timing chain or belt on the 2.5? If it's a belt, what's the replacement schedule? (The owner's manual didn't say) And how much of a production is it to change? (I'm a diy-er but don't yet have a shop manual.)

The check engine light came on when I went to pick it up - I cleared the codes myself with my autotap (p0130 & p0171) - am I looking at fixing something or is this just bad luck? (My Trans Am has had a failing O2 sensor for three years, I clear the code once a summer...)

What commonly breaks on these cars? For better or for worse, it has a new clutch... when we test drove it the first time it was totally smoked... so I wonder if the previous owner just sucked or ???

This is my first Subaru, so be gentle. ;) (I really wanted a WRX but I need room for two baby seats...)

Ray

02 Subaru Legacy Wagon 01 Trans Am Ram Air
Reply to
news
2001 Outback, so take model differences with grain of salt...

No. There is one light there, its the "heat the mirrors" light. Do you see ports for lighting that never light? Those things are often not worth the time and effort to fix, even if they go wrong. (unless it's the whole function, in which case check your fuses.)

If it hasn't been done, it's time. It's a belt. From what I hear, it's a pain to do yourself.

Your O2 sensor is probably going bad, they do that frequently at that age. If it hasn't been replaced, it's time anyway. At some point, it will make the car difficult to drive (loss of power, bad shifting points, smoking, rough idle, etc.)

Aside from the O2 sensor, you should get the coolant conditioner to avoid head gasket leaking problems. The dealer can get you that, or if you look in google groups for archives of this usegroup, you can find stuff you can add yourself. (The dealer will probably add it for you as a recall/warranty item for free.)

Otherwise, it's worth lurking here for advice on tires, air presure, torque bind, etc. Not all of the stuff the dealer wants to do is worthwhile (in my opinion) but some of it is.

Have fun this winter. _NOBODY_ can beat me across an intersection in slush. (Aside from those young punks in newer scoobs.) AWD helps you GO. Doesn't help you STOP. Learn that good.

Reply to
Funkadyleik Spynwhanker

thanks. :)

The heat the mirrors light comes on - it just looked like the switches could have backlighting in them.

the car only has 77,000km on it. I thought the replacement interval would be about 60,000miles/100,000km.

Thanks. I did notice the idle when warm seemed to dip a bit, that would explain it.

Thanks. I was going to call the dealer to see if there was any factory warranty left on it and/or any recalls for it.

This is my first Subaru, but not my first 4wd. My old Jimmy could go through 2 feet of snow... I don't expect that of my Legacy, just reliable family transportation that doesn't have fwd. :)

Ray

Reply to
news

Maintenance schedule is at address below for 2002, follow links at bottom.

It says 105,000 miles or 168,000 km or 105 months for timing belt, whichever occurs first.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

thanks. So far, so good. Not used to adjusting valves though. That'll be a new one for me...

Ray

Reply to
ray

Most belts get replaced at 60K miles, but it appears that Subaru makes an extra strong belt. I asked the dealer about belt replacement on our

02 WRX and they said they had no problems with the 100K mile interval.

I haven't done one yet, but the factory manual has good instructions. The only parts that look harder than normal is the retraction of the tensioner and the lining up of each cylinder bank (you can't just set the engine/cams in a single position and put on the belt). But none of this should pose any problem to someone who knows their way around engines.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

Good post. Be aware some aftermarket books list an incorrectly low value for torqueing the crank pulley bolt. Someone here will know it - but some folks have head mwobble loose and cause some destruction. Also, this may apply only to books for the older soobs. just something I recall reading about.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

as long as it's not the 500 foot-pounds we needed to remove the bolt on my buddy's Acura. :)

Ray

Reply to
ray

Yeah, taking them off can sometimes be a Herculean task. I've read of guys that wedge a cheater bar from the wrench handle to the floor or frame and use the starter!

scary

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan