RAV4 -- 4x4 vs 4x2

Hi,

Just curious about what people think of the 4WD vs Front WD for the RAV4?

I've only had front-wheel drive cars up to now and they have been just fine (Honda Civic before, 1991 Toyota Corolla DX Wagon now)

I am seriously considering a RAV4, and I am tempted to get the 4x2 as the car will be 99% of the time on paved roads :-)

I think the slightly better fuel economy and possibly fewer problems with a simpler mechanical setup will lead to better long-term reliability/maintenance.

Your thoughts? (You may also toss in opinions for 4cyl vs v6 .. I'm leaning towards the 4cyl .. no need to tow much, I know that's one major difference in addition to possibly better acceleration)

Thanks!

Esmail

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

I would ask, first of all, where do you live? Do you NEED AWD, will you use it, of are you in an area where it won't be used?

Toyota makes some good AWD vehicles; if you live where there is snow or mud, and are going to use it, obviously go for the AWD. It's made by Toyota; that doesn't mean it's infallible, but it's a good indication it will be more trouble-free than others...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, right now I'm in NE Ohio, but I will be moving most likely next year (not sure where in the US).

I drove my front-wheel vehicles without troubles in the harsh Iowa winters for many years. I suppose if I had mountains to contend with a 4WD would be a safer choice. Perhaps I should try to wait on a new car until I know where I am moving ...

Yes, Toyotas are great cars and super reliable in my experience. My 1991 Corolla Wagon has had only break pads replaced and the battery once. That's all .. trouble free as can be.

Esmail

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

The RAV4 is not an off road vehicle --- underneath its Corolla based. The

4WD is for snow conditions and muddy secondary (back country roads). Sounds like the 2WD is what you need. Why the RAV4? If mileage is a consideration look at the Matrix which has about the same room.
Reply to
Wolfgang

You get a few more mpg with the Matrix but the rear visibility is horrible and the instrument cluster is messed up IMO. Test drove a Matrix and knocked that right off of the list. It's a cool looking vehicle from the outside though.

Reply to
tanukiki

I have to agree with you, test drove one too .. plus I don't even really like the way it looks :-)

Personally though, I wish they hadn't made the new (2006+) RAV4 bigger, I thought the size was just fine. I read that the RAV4 sold in Japan and Europe is not larger like the US version.

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

I thought about it, and in spite of thinking it's somewhat an ugly car I took a test drive and didn't really like it. Poor visibility compared to my current car, and it felt cheap'ish .. the ride wasn't nearly as nice as the RAV4 either :-)

Wish the RAV4 hadn't grown in size in 2006 .. I was happy with its dimensions.

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

That's funny because I didn't consider the previous RAV4 over the 02 CRV I bought because I thought it was too small inside. The only reason I looked at the RAV4 this time was because it was bigger than the second gen RAV4s (and I think the new 07 CRV is fugly!!!).

Reply to
tanukiki

Most unpaved roads don't require 4WD either, as they have a perfectly drivable with 2WD gravel or packed dirt surface.

Reasons to own 4WD:

- Muddy off-roading (construction sites, etc...)

- Boat launches

- Driving in snow, or on snow packed roads, on a regular basis

- Deep sand driving (where you'll "air down")

- Delicate surface driving, for example, wet lawns.

- Resale value vs. 2WD version of vehicle (if you swap often). The

2WD version of certain vehicles can be genuine white elephants in many areas.

- You want people who you don't know, and who don't really care, to think you're an off-roader.

The way I look at it, if you've got to ask, you're probably a great candidate for 2WD.

Don't forget that AWD is a different animal than 4WD and is much more usable in daily driving. I totally loved my AWD, manual shifted, Subaru on wet or snowy roads!

Reply to
Bonehenge

This is not quite a RAV4 but I have an AWD 02 V-6 Highlander.

I live in No. Calif. and we do get some snow as well as I periodically go to Reno during the winter. AWD, IMHO, is well worth the slight cost/mileage penalty. Handling is great for a higher profile rig. Yep its a Toyota so when it says "inflate tires to 35psi if you intend to cruise over 100 mph (where legal)" you can be pretty sure its a good drive system.

Ron

Reply to
ron

Hmmm...when the RAV4 first came out in '95, it was based on the Celica GT+4...

Reply to
Hachiroku

:-)

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

Well, I like 4 seasons, so I've lived in Iowa and Ohio which have regularly very snowy winters .. but that's worked out ok with my front-wheel drive Corolla Wagon over the years.

he he ...

Yes, I think so too .. but if I end up moving to Colorado for a new job, or up-up-up-state NY, I may reconsider.

that sounds great. Actually, I was looking at a Subaru Legacy Wagon .. manual! .. but the dealership around here was so bad and rude, and I wasn't able to have another dealership find me the particular car I gave up on it.

I enjoy driving manual, it's too bad the RAV4 doesn't come that way, as most of the cars nowadays seem automatic only :-(

Esmail

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

That's what I am trying to determine.

Ok, I'm a bit puzzled by this .. of course Toyota is great quality, but I am missing the significance of the quote from the manual you provide. This must be due to my lack of knowledge of 4WD vehicles.

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

I agree in looking at a smaller vehicle. What's wrong with the Corolla? They are now used as cabs here. The Rav4 is now a big heavy vehicle, actually it's like a short van. Also that spare tacked on the rear turns me off.

Reply to
Spam Begone

I have to agree .. this is really not my first choice. My first choice would be another Toyota Corolla Wagon, such as the one (1991) I drive now. Or a Camry Wagon.

Unfortunately, for some reason, Toyota stopped making them over 6 years ago. And I don't care for the Matrix for a number of reasons.

I do want the capacity to carry things, a sedan won't do for that.

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

I think it was Esmail Bonakdarian who stated:

Scion xB: small on the outside, big on the inside.

I traded my clunky Grand Voyager in for one and never looked back.

You'll have to hurry, though; '06 is the last model year.

-Don (lovin' his xB!)

-- Pooder approved this post . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

I thought the same thing, until I spent a few winters with a Jeep and Subaru. FWD was "ok", the 4WD / AWD vehicles were GREAT, especially the Subie.

Of course, not much improves ice traction, or stopping distance.

Reply to
B A R R Y

My comment on speed was intended to show Toyota's faith in their AWD system. The AWD is seamless. Its there all the time wet or dry. It will not help you stop faster, it will improve handling under most conditions, IMHO. It will not improve any skill deficiency you might have on driving in marginal conditions. You will skid on ice! You will get stuck in deep snow, mud or sand usually.

If all these posts haven't explained it to you, I'd suggest you stay out of marginal conditions.

Reply to
ron

I'm not sure how you are drawing your conclusions about my level of understanding, it doesn't matter as they are wrong.

My questions was solely trying to figure out what you meant by your reference to driving fast with RAV4, which you explained in the useful part of your message. For that I can thank you.

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian