'02 WRX - A/C troubleshooting

Hi!

If there's a good soul willing to help, I'd like to hear what would be a good way to figure out why A/C stopped functioning. Already checked fuses, all fine. Checked A/C relay (in the engine compartment) and swapped it with the one from the next slot, no help. When I used to turn A/C on before, there used to be a short click sound (most likely relay) and then, compressor would start. Now, there's no click and only fan starts to blow. Green LED on 'A/C' button is lit, though. Suggestions? I noticed three relays on the fuse block under the steering wheel. Is any of those responsible for A/C?

ZZ

Reply to
ZZ

I'm mostly unfamiliar with A/C systems, ZZ, but fellow board poster Steve J. keeps various manuals online. Just happens to have an '02 WRX/Impreza manual, from which I would suggest taking a look at the Wiring, and maybe some other section, for troublshooting ideas.

Good luck,

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

its most likely a overcharge or undercharge of the coolant is the pressure is not right the compressor will shut off get your pressure checked and add some 134a

Reply to
mpberti

Yep, quite likely the refrigerant has leaked out enogh to trigger the low pressure cut-out. I dunno if it's important but the wife's'03 Outback had both suction and discharge hoses replaced (barely under warranty) dur to leakage. Perhaps Subaru had a bad supply of them?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

One additional question. Recently, fuel rails were replaced by Subaru service due to a leak (smell of raw fuel). Is it necessary to drain refrigerant when replacing fuel rails? I suspect that service guys didn't refill refrigerant after this procedure or they managed to screw something up during the procedure. By a chance, I didn't have to turn on A/C until recently and that's why I didn't notice A/C malfunction before....

ZZ

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
ZZ

Often they can 'lay aside' a compressor with lines attached - though that is not without risk. I just don't know. perhaps someone here is a tech and knows the procedure. It is very possible they just forgot to re-charge the system if it was opened.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
bigjim

Thanks for spending your time and posting advice 'bigjim' but I was asking more for a technical advice, not a generic consumer advisory....

ZZ

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

Reply to
ZZ