'03 Forester - Replacement tire question

My '03 Forester has 44,000 mi. and I want to put new tires on before on before winter. I live in New England, they have to be snow and ice capable. I don't venture off-road, rarely off paved surfaces. The originals were Yokohama Geolander (215/60R16). A couple of tires I was considering are: Michelin MXV4-Plus, Firestone Affinity LH30, or Bridgestone Turanza LS-H.

I would appreciate any experience other Forester owners have had with replacement tires. Thanks.

Reply to
Tom McCarthy

Try the Goodyear Triple treads, Tirerack.com has them as one of the top rated all-seasons out there with excellent treadwear. I put them on my 04 (got rid of the Geo's) at 17,000km last December. I've done snow, ice and lots of rain, mostly hwy. Made a world of difference to handling and the anti-lock brakes don't kick-in (pulsate) hardly ever in the wet any more due to the wet traction. They look good too.

I bought Michelin Hydroedges for my 03 Forester. They have a similar tread pattern as the Goodyear Triple Treads. From what I can discern, the Michelins and Goodyears looked like a tossup. I've bought Michelins for years; so, I opted for them. I've done some serious wet weather driving with them and found them to be excellent. Haven't had them in any snow.

I got my Hydroedges from tirerack.com, then had the dealer mount and balance them. I saved well over $100 that way, and found the tirerack folks excellent to deal with.

George Bame Norfolk, VA

Reply to
George Bame

I put Kumho KH18's on my outback and love them so far. Great in the rain and dry. No snow yet

Reply to
jabario

Reply to
Edward Hayes

The Hydroedges are good in light snow at least, according to a friend who has them on his Forester. Better than any other all-seasons he has used, though not as good as dedicated snow tires, of course.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

I've been happy with my Goodyear Triple Treads. Get the H rated version though.

-Kurt

Tom McCarthy wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack