Need better tires on 2004 Forester XT

I am one of the lucky ones to own a new 2004 Turbo Forester, It is great except the tires.

The Forester's tires are Yokohama Geolander G900 P215/60 R16 94H.

In normal driving the steering response and cornering are poor. The sidewalls are weak and the tread is soft. They feel like driving on jello. [I have heard that they only last about 25,000 miles too].

I'm considering changing to Bridgestone Turanza LS-V 225/50R16 92V - this is a V rate tire so the sidewall is stiffer and at a 50 or 55 ratio it is shorter. This is the V rated version of the tire that some other Forester owners have [LS-H]. The tread should also be a harder sports car like compound.

Some of these tires are rated and discussed on

It seems that Steering response and cornering stability are good expressions of my issue. On tirerack there are a mass of good comments on the Turanza tire. As far as I can tell everyone on "tirerack" hates the geolander 900 like on mine.

Has anyone had good luck switching to a beter handling, cornering tire? Such as a lower profile or V rated one?

Also what model Geolanders were put on earlier model Foresters?

[I do not need snow capable tires]

Chris

Reply to
chris