Burning Smell

I have a 2000 Focus wagon, with automatic transmission. The car has an odor that I can not find the source of. It smells somewhat like burning brakes, but this is not the source of the problem. I thought perhaps brake fluid or transmission fluid leaking onto the exhaust system, but I don't see smoke nor do i see a drop in fluids. Anyone have similar problems or ideas? thanks

mike

Reply to
Mike

I'd suspect an oil leak around the exhaust manifold. It could be as simple as a valve cover gasket. You might get an engine shampoo (available at many car washes) then you could check for leaks.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I had the same problem, started christmas eve , horrible smell and what seemed to be a puncture, when I checked tyres nothing, problem seemed to be when accelerating from about 30 mph, got it seen to by local ford garage eventually when they reopened, turned out to be a problem with the ignition coil,

-- M.See

Reply to
m.see