Rubber smokey smell after flex pipe / gasket replaced

Hi,

I noticed that immediately after having my flex pipe and gasket replaced on a '97 tiburon (95k miles), there was a strong smokey smell, which smells like rubber burning. Only light white smoke is visible when the car is parked. I called the mechanic who did the repair and he told me it's normal-- the paint and stickers on the pipe melt and smoke off, should wear off in a couple of days... The smoke appears to be coming directly from the location where the new pipe is. Seems plausible, but I wanted to get a second opinion from someone who has had a similar experience.

Also, now I do hear a squeaking sound I haven't heard before. Is it possible that they didn't properly retension the alternator belt after replacing the pipe? The sqeaking seems to be present whether or not i'm pressing the brake, and does not change pitch / frequency with acceleration. Sometimes it squeaks, sometimes not. This seems to be consistent with the alternator belt. I forgot to ask the mechanic this, so i'm throwing it out there also.

Thanks for your comments.

Reply to
Truth

Jody

They're exactly correct on the pipe. There are about three large stickers plastered on the pipes for inventory and shipping purposes. And they don't come off easily, either. The pipes are painted as well. Once all that junk burns off, your odor will be gone.

There's absolutely no relationship with the alternator belt and the pipe. The mechanic would have had to take off nothing besides the pipe and transfer the oxygen sensor into the new pipe. He wouldn't have been anywhere near the belts. Chances are, it's coincidental that it occurred after the repair, unless the noise is coming from the pipe itself or its hangers.

Reply to
hyundaitech