1985 Subaru 4WD throwout bearing spring installation

I am replacing the clutch in my 85 Subaru GL 1.8L 4WD and need help. The u-shaped spring holding the throwout bearing to the clutch fork popped out and I am not 100% sure how the spring goes back on. Anyone with a shop manual showing it would be a super great help. Thanks

Reply to
frwilbanks

I _do_ have the shop manual for that car. Alas, it's at home and I'm at work . . . I think there is only one way it will go; one end needs to lie across the "ear" of the bearing carrier, and the other end behind the release lever. There might be a small hole in the release lever that gets one end of the spring. Don't recall for sure, but there might also need to be two of 'em; one on each side. Anyway, I'd suggest that you simply fiddle with it and see if it doesn't fall into place. I won't be here again before next week (goin' fishin ;-), but if you're still having trouble, email directly and I'll pull the manual, scan anything that looks useful, and send it along.

ByeBye! S.