offroad?

how do i make my 86 gl into a sutable offroad vehicle? thanks

Reply to
cale

"cale" wrote in news:1162706164.796964.234960 @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

go to

and look around for ideas.

Talk to other off roaders regarding what mods are or aren't worth the effort.

Take your gl off road and upgrade whatever breaks. :-)

Later, Joe

Reply to
Joe Kultgen

Talk to those who do the same types of offroading.

What's great for sand, or mud, or rock crawling, may not be so hot for other stuff.

Reply to
Bonehenge

What's suitable? What do you hope to do with it? I have an '84 GL wagon that has been all over the state, including some fairly tough jeep roads. Works great. But then I don't expect it to go rock-crawling, or bog-wheeling, at least not sustained sections; you can generally pick a workable line thru short bits of most anything.

You need the dual-range tranny. As found on the wagon; the sedan hi-lo doesn't have the same reduction ratio. (1.2:1 vs 1.6:1 IIRC) Crank the preload adjustment on the front struts and on the rear . . . hmmmm, mine has a torsion bar rear spring. I think the newer ('85 and up?) might have an adjustable sleeve on the rear shock. Whatever, crank 'em up. Run the tallest tire you can find. This will probably be a 185-80-13, but it pays to look around. Taller is better, pretty much regardless of tread pattern. Fit an LSD to the rear. I had to swap internals around to make one for my baby, but it helps a lot.

Learn to drive the car. The old Soobies are very capable if the driver is skilful. Know where all four wheels are at any given time. Learn to pick a line that uses your narrow wheel-base to best advantage (it's a _huge_ advantage, too.) Know exactly how much clearance you have at any point underneath. Know when to go, know when to say "whoa". Be willing to accept the inevitable scuffs and bashes when you misjudge. Carry a shovel, farm jack, and portable winch.

Drive it. Drive it. Drive it some more. That, in the end, is your best preparation.

Have fun.

ByeBye! S.