2000 Outback Suspension Noise

Bought a 2000 outback with 58000KM on it and noticed soon after that there was a thumping noise that could be heard and felt in turns. They replaced the power steering lines because of a known issue withe size of the lines. There is a TSB out on this aswell. But there is still a lot of suspension thumping that can be heard inside when travelling over expansion gaps or cracks in the road. The rattle that could be felt is gone when turning but it does seem that if you hit a hole or are travelling on a gravel road that there still might be a bit of thumping felt even travelling in a straight line. To me it seems like the strut mounts might be worn or maybe a sway bar bushing if there is one is worn. Anyone had a similiar experience, because it seems a little early to have these suspension parts worn? Thanks Dave

Reply to
Dave and Daphne

I had something similar on my 2002 wrx. It turned out to be a loose nut on the top end of the right front shock absorber. Open the bonnet, at the center of the suspension mount is a black cover, ply this open and you will see the top of the absorber, the big nut that secure the absorber to the mount was loose on mine. I am located in Hong Kong and I must say the dealer did a good job finding this. It was annoying to drive with such noise. Kelvin

Reply to
Kelvin

Could be a strut but also look at the 6 rubber mounts, 3 on each side, that support the body. Sometimes the lower part gets hit by something and when you hit a bump the rubber body mount compresses enough to let the upper and lower part of the mounts hit metal to metal. You can really feel this but can be easily fixed by anyone who owns a hammer in 2 minutes. TG

Reply to
TG

I am getting the same thumping noise (though doesn't sound like a rattle) as you described on bumpy roads and even on roads with slightly uneven pavement. I attributed it to the cold weather (it has been -20C lately here in Nova Scotia) but now I am starting to think it is something else. I have noticed it in the last couple of weeks.

I went under the car and everything seems to be tight as I too suspected the sway bar links, but I don't think it is that. My noise sounds like strut noise. I am not too worried about it as it does not appear to effect tracking and will have the dealer check it out in the next oil change. I have 89,900 Klms on my 2000 OBW. If you get an answer, I wouldn't mind hearing from you.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

I had the same thing on my Outback H6 and fixed it the same way as Kelvin.

Reply to
Lance B

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hello Dave

I have a similar noise on my 2000 Legacy (*very* similar to your Outback) which I bought in the spring. While shopping for a car I tested an Outback that had the same problem, where there was a noise when it hit bumps and even when turning the wheel back and forth while going straight (sorry about the description... imagine moving the wheel just enough for the body to shake a bit). The dealer where I tried the car told me the sway bar links needed to be changed on the car, and it did - and does - sound like a similar problem I had on my previous car.

Not sure how to check them, thought...

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore