2001 VDC: Universal or OEM O2 Sensor?

It looks like I have to replace the oxygen sensors on my 2001 VDC (H6 engine, 165,000 miles.) Online prices for the OEM style are in the $100+ range each (ouch!) A couple of sources offer a "universal"

4-wire replacement for less than half that. I know the universal means doing some splicing but I have the electrical diagrams so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm concerned about how universal "universal" is, though -- can the car deal with a non-OEM sensor?

So, the question is, can I get away with using the universal-style replacements or do I have to spring for the OEM style. And, where's a good (as in low-priced) place to buy them from?

Reply to
Opposite George