2K Outback Head Gasket Fixed, Don't trust dealer.

My 2000 Outback with 75,000 miles went in last week for warranty work for a leaking left side head gasket. No charge for the work which was great, but the work order shows 4 hours labor charged to the job. Speaking with my usual mechanic I would have expected more time to complete this repair. What do you think?

Also, now that it is back in action, I don't know if I am being overly sensitive now, but it seems to have a lot more belt and lifter noises. Would anything done with the head work have affected these new noises that I am perceiving?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David Patnaude

Edward Hayes

Sounds like a very minimalist kind of repair @ 4 hrs. Didn't do any more than absolutely necessary and I'm sure only one gasket was replaced.

I recently had to have my HG replaced an my 2000 and due to mileage it was one my dime. Dealer wanted about $2k was was going to resurface the heads, both gaskets replaced. Had the job done by an independent shop for $1300 and in addition to resurfacing the heads, they replaced all the seal and gaskets on the engine, factory parts used.

At 75k miles I would have kicked in a few $$ and had the timing belt and water pump replaced as they are schedule for replacement at 105k miles. While they had access to these items for the HG it would have saved you some $$ in the not too distant future.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Mickey wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

If my independant shop was going to do the work, I would have probably thrown in the timing belt and water pump work too. Like I said though, I don't really trust my dealer and don't use him unless it is for warranty work and they have to do it. If I had asked them to add the timing belt work, they probably would have charged me full cost for the timing belt work and charged Subaru full cost for the head gasket work.

Reply to
David Patnaude

Often, the dealer is only allowed to charge x amount for warantee work. The manufacturere handles this by permitting only x hours to do a specific job.

Reply to
Alan