Head gasket question

I recently got the timing belt, water pump, front seals gasket and engine belts replaced on my 97 camry at 145K miles. The shop in question is very reputable and performs high quality work on Japanese cars. After the job, I was told the head gasket is leaking oil. Do they have to take off the head to get at the timing belt? Just wondering if the head gasket job could have been done at the time, thus saving me some money, as now it will cost $1000.

Another thing is that it is just oil leaking out, not mixing with radiator water. Nor, according to the mechanic is water leaking into the oil. There's no smoke, car runs fine, but I do have to add a quart every 5-7 days or so.

Is it worth trying some fix-in-a-can to buy some time? Worth taking second opinion?

Thanks a lot! Vijay

Reply to
Vijay Bajwa

The head does not have to be removed to replace the timing belt.

I do not recommend fix-in-a-can stuff because it can cause other problems, like internal blockages.

You did not mention whether you have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine and where the oil is leaking. Head gasket leaks are not very common on Camry engines of either type. If it is leaking around the spark plug tubes, then replacing the spark plug tube gaskets may be all that is necessary.

Reply to
Ray O

I am wondering why they advised you of this problem after the timing belt was replaced. They could have done the head gasket while they had the car down that far for the timing belt. Surely, the head gasket didn't suddenly spring a leak right after they finished the timing belt job. The cylinder head is normally not removed to replace the timing belt; but normally the belt will have to be removed to replace the cylinder head gasket. Usually the timing belt, perhaps the water pump, and other accessories will have to be removed to replace the head gasket. Are they certain that it is the cylinder head gasket and not the valve cover gasket? Definitely get a second opinion and it may be that if it is in fact the cylinder head gasket, just re-tourqing the cylinder head bolts may stop or significantly slow the leak. That might be worth a try. IMHO, I would not use the fix in a can. It's not worth it and usually ineffective in most cases.

Reply to
user

You could go several years of adding oil before you spent $1,000...

Reply to
J. H. Holliday