90 loyal

left timing belt broke ,replaced belt and engine will not run on l side it just backfires threw the intake and i removed the head to ck the valves and they are ok

Reply to
Richard & Karen Greeling

Did you get the belts timed properly when you installed them? You do one side, then turn the engine (180 deg IIRC) and do the other side. When properly done, one cam timing mark will be at 12 o'clock, one at 6 o'clock. (Check the book just to be sure how far to turn things.) It could be more serious, but that's a real common "Oops!" on those engines w/ belt replacement.

While you're in that far, be sure to think SERIOUSLY about replacing cam seals, main (crank) seal and oil pump seals (O-rings on back, small seal on front.) It's not a bad idea to think about doing the water pump, too. I figure seals at each belt replacement, water pump every other one, using 50k miles as a target. (The book says 60k, but Subaru later changed it to 50k on their website cuz people weren't getting full mileage, particularly with aftermarket belts--including me! Stick to Subaru OEM when you can!)

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright