93 Impreza coolant temperature sensor questions

Hello all.

I think I have a bad sensor like this: the car doesn't readily cold start and the 'check engine light' comes on. The diagnostics code it flashes is 21.

Where is this thing located? I see several sensors located on the intake manifold and can't tell.

Once I find it, what should it read?

What is its typical failure mode (open, short or wrong temp reading)?

If I bought a replacement sensor and just plugged it into the terminals but let it dangle for testing purposes, should the check engine light go back off and should the car start normally (if the sensor was the cause, that is)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Remco

Reply to
remcow