95 - 99 Legacy Roof Rails Stability

The roof rack on the 95 - 99 Legacy looks relatively sturdy; does anyone have experience with the rack coming lose or other problems? It's not easy to see what the feet of the racks are bolted into - is it just sheet metal screws going into the roof?

I am transporting sailing equipment on the roof of my car regularly and I am concerned about the lift forces created at highway speeds, and would hate to see my stuff cartwheel off the freeway in my rear view mirror.

TIA for opinions etc.

florian

Reply to
FFF