'96 Outback Question

Am thinking of buying a '96 Outback 2.5 Auto w/112K miles for $4000.. Car seems okay. I am concerned that one has to use premium gas and the headlamps appear to have a milky appearance to them. Engine just rebuilt, from valves up, by expert mechanic due to timing belt failure.

What else should I be looking for and do I really have to use premium gas?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Autumn

Approach the owner with the price of new headlamps - then, if you but it, just get some plastic polish and polish them.

Make sure you look under the hood and confirm the FWD fuse is NOT in place. Then test drive in a parking lot in slow tight circles. Any jerky motion could mean bad center diff.

You need some assurance the head gaskets are good/recent style too I think. Others may have more detailed info on that issue.

Carl

Autumn wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I didn't always use premium in mine and it ran fine (now the rest of the group may flame on). The headlight issue is probably discoloration of the lenses in reaction to UV rays and the only real way to fix it is to buy new ones. I'd be more concerned about the rebuild then anything else since someone who didn't care enough to change the timing belt may not have cared for anything else.

Reply to
Greg

A rebuild from the valves up doesn't address the pistons, connecting rods, rod bearings.....these parts took their full force that bent the valves. I wouldn't buy a Subaru this happened to unless it had a used engine installed, not a partial rebuild. TG

Reply to
TG

You don't have to use premium, because the knock sensor will retard the timing if less than the recommended octane fuel is used. This will result in less power. One trick is to alternate fill-ups of regular and premium, which results in a mid-grade octane rating. I have tried ethanol blend that is much cheaper but has only slightly less octane rating than premium. However, I found that the miles per gallon decreased due to the lower energy content of the ethanol. In fact, whatever I saved per gallon was eaten up by having to buy more fuel, i.e., it's not worth it.

Reply to
tcassette

premium

I'd avoid that car like the plague. If it has 112,000 and a recent timing belt failure, then it is likely the car wasn't maintained. It's hard to tell what else might have been damaged when the timing belt let go. Who told you that you have to use premium gas....the "expert" mechanic? You can do better for four grand. Run away from this one.

Reply to
George Adams

It's really a crapshoot. I owned an Eagle Talon w/ an interference engine in which the timing belt broke. I had maintained it meticulously, like all of my cars, but the belt broke prematurely requiring a $2200 rebuild. In that case, the broken belt wasn't reflective of poor maintenance.

On the other hand, the cloudy headlamp lenses are likely a sign that the car was parked/stored outside for past 9-10 years. Even so, the cloudiness could have been avoided with a little TLC. I think the lenses are more indicative of poor maintenance than the belt.

Give the range of used Subaru options, I'd pass on this car.

My two duckets, LK

Reply to
lkreh

I've had my '95 Legacy L since '97. Have tried middle and lower grade fuel. Not only does the performance drop off with the lower grades, but so does the MPG.

As for the headlamps, Get yourself some Mother's Rubbing Compund and work it over, follow it with a good poly polish and they'll look almost new.

H>> Am thinking of buying a '96 Outback 2.5 Auto w/112K miles for

$4000..

premium

Reply to
Francis I. Coppage, Jr.

Thanks for all of the great replies.

I have an UPDATE to my original post. I guess I misunderstood just what caused the failure in the engine. The shop owner explained that it was the bolt that holds the timing belt tensioner that fractured. He affirms that the folks took good care of the vehicle and that the actual timing belt was changed at 90K miles by the original owner. Does this new information change anyone's opinion about the car?

Thanks again for all of your help in this matter.

Autumn

Reply to
Autumn