96 outback check engine

I have a 96 Leagacy Outback. Recently the check engine light has come on and it is now hard to start (cranks but doesn't turn over). Is there any way to read the check engine light without taking it to a dealer?

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric Massie

Eric: Not expensive to have the codes read. These cars use a crank position sensor which will cause hard/no starting if faulty.

Reply to
ed

Yup, and the sensor may not be defective, the cable may be loose or corroded. Try fixing that first.

I had mine replaced before I tried that. Afterward, I found that there was nothing wrong with the sensor. A case of changitis on the part of the dealership.

Al

Reply to
Al

Cranking and turning over are the same thing....if you mean the starter spins but not the engine then the teeth are bad where the starter interfaces the ring gear/flywheel. TG

Reply to
TG