Adding Horsepower!

I got my 05 WRX 6 months ago and now I want to add some performance parts. Where is a good place to start? Someone told me it's best to start with the exhaust. That sounds good to me but, is that really the best place to start? If so can anyone suggest some brands/models. I want to make my car faster, but I dont want to wake the neighbors in the morning. Thanks

Reply to
chariot124

Go to the NASIC.com (North American Impreza Owners Club) and do a search there. But yeah a cat-back will help a little. Before you add speed you should get upgraded tires Stock RE92 are not that great.

Reply to
gdub

Lots of places to go for info. Start with the various WRX forums like:

NASIOC ClubWRX i-club Cobb Tuning

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Ragnar

More hp in winter? You're quite a stud to pick up this season for your experiments.

Reply to
isquat

Typical rice-racer....it will be wrapped around a tree before july 1st..... Or blown to bits hahahaha.

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

Reply to
chariot124

they're assuming that because they live in Alaska, that you must too...

Reply to
Ray

Actually a good time to plan and start buying parts to have ready for spring. You will find alot of the popular WRX parts hard to obtain and being on back order. But these are your typical Outback owners, they are probably asking themselves... whats an exhaust ? I'v had mods on my WRX for awhile and it hasnt blown up or ever been wraped around a tree or givin me any trouble.

I would do some research and find a site dedicated to the WRX there are plenty of message boards and websites with all kinds of info, reviews etc. And in my opion the best bang for your buck would be to go with the Cobb Accessport,it will give you 25-30 hp with no mods other then uploading a map to your ecu. It is also rather handy and has a few other features that makes it worth going with for $695, like a trouble code reader. I believe the new version also has a performance meter kinda like the g-tech meter to estimate HP, 0-60 time and 1/4 mile times.. Then you can build off of that. Run the stage 2 map add a turbo back exhaust and that will put you up to about

285hp.. which should keep you happy for a little while.Then even stage 3 with a turbo upgrade if you want. I'd stay clear of intakes,blow off valves or manual/electronic boost controllers .

Mike

IT NEEDS A V8!

Reply to
bgd

good post. You can sometimes save a little money buying STi 'takeoffs' or other used parts as folks continue upgrading. Again, check the 'marketplace' or Want To Buy (WTB/WTS) sections at Nasioc or other forums. Another site with some parts reviews is

.

Your car is unlikely to be a great candidate for 1/8-1/4 mile drag racing, be sure to upgrade tires, brakes and suspension along with HP. If you intend to autox (ER or SCCA style) try to ask around in a Motorsports forum about 'classes' in which your car would compete well, then build up to that class level.

Carl

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

There is a substitute for cubic inches...it's called "intelligence".

Reply to
CompUser

I've heard it works similar to augmenting a tiny penis with a Hemi.

Reply to
B A R R Y

For what? To chug more gas?

Reply to
JD

too bad you don't appear to have any of either.

Reply to
news

Hi,

Suggest a good hi-performance driving school...

No offense intended, but egos aside, there are VERY few guys out on the street who REALLY know how to get what's already available out of their cars. Once the driver's dialed in, then the car may or may not benefit from bigger and badder bits.

Example: I don't think they don't offer it anymore, but one of our local Sheriff's Academies used to have a "limo driver" course for chauffeurs of high risk passengers (the kind of people who might be kidnapped, assassinated, etc.) At "graduation," those chauffeurs could do things w/

3 ton limos that would have the average ricer looking for a clean pair of shorts. Now give one of 'em a STOCK WRX...

Just personal opinion...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I watched a TV program showing the training of the double decker buses in London. I would love to be able to throw my WRX around a course as good as that bus driver.

Reply to
Ed

The folks I knew who did local performance racing stuff (can't remember the sanctioning body) were quickly indoctrinated into this "you already own more care than you _really_ know how to drive" mantra, and were slow to add mods and quicker to spend more time honing their technique.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I race (but not my Subaru Legacy) and there is no such thing as too much horsepower. Period. But then again, I race a stock car on dirt, so I'm a bit nuts.

Ray

Reply to
Ray