Airconditioner "cyclying" on 2006 OutBack wagon

I have the 2006 Outback VDC 3.0, and, am noticing (more and more, I think) that when using the air conditioner, it seems to cycle on and off a lot.

I don't mean that the fan cycles, the "cold" cycles--the blown air goes cold, then warm, then cold, every few seconds (seems like about 10 or 15).

I've turned off the AUTO control, and, just manually set the temperature and fan speed, as AUTO seems to turn everything on to MAX, and, leave it there forever. I've tried using both outside air, and recycled air, and, they both seem the same (recycled air is overall cooler, of course).

Is this normal, or, is there a problem. My other cars, owned and rented, just blew cold air all the time (would get cooler when you accelerated, but, that seems to make sense).

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Some cycling is normal, that is how the system works. If you think it is excessive or if the behavior of the AC has changed since you got the car, have your dealer check it. The AC could be over- or under-charged.

Reply to
mulder

Let us know what happens. I have an 06 outback sport and I feel the same way. Maybe it's just because the small engine where you can feel it clicking on and off.

Either way, I barely use my defroster because I have bad feelings about it when it clicks on and off so much. I know that it's probably just psychological, but I try to stay away from it. I posted my concerns on forums.nasioc.com, and somebody replied saying it was OK. Well, going through the post, it looks like it may be a little related...

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Reply to
wiz561

I'm going to ask them at the next service, and, will post the response. I don't feel the engine change revs at all (I have the 6-cylinder, so, maybe it's not as sensitive to the AC), the air blows at the same force, it's just seeming to cycle between cold (and, it DOES get plenty cold, so, I'd think it's charged enough) to almost outside air temperature.

Reply to
Bill Bradley