To disable AC at defrost

Has anyone successfully stopped the AC from turning on at defrost setting on a 02 Camry? It makes no sense in a freezing icy morning to blow cold air to the windshield, when it needs warm air to meld the ice, let alone wasting gas, increasing engine load when it's still cold. It got to be a wire behind the temperature setting knob that links the AC clutch. I am thinking that disconnecting it might work. I have unplugged the AC fuse as a temporary measure, but I do need AC from time to time.

Thanks.

Reply to
J Guan

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, J Guan being of bellicose mind posted:

It is quite apparent you have no understanding of what happens when moist air passes over a cold surface. Or do you? Futhermore, the A/C compressor cycles OFF the moment the evaporator core reaches 36 degrees ... otherwise if it were to go colder, any water condensation would turn to ice and subsequently block air flow thru the evaporator and onto the heater core..

So. LEAVE THE THING ALONE because you don't understand the objectives of its current workings.

Reply to
Philip®

I have an '03 Camry and have noticed that if the air control knob is in the last two positions (both pics with the defroster on them) that after turning it off I get a noticeable eletrical wiring burning smell. Dealer of course could not duplicate. It seems to be after driving on the highway with the knob in that position. Anyone else have similar experience? Any thoughts on what it could be? Never noticed it in the summer while using the air conditioner. Thanks.

Reply to
AMatterOfMinds

In news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m02.aol.com, AMatterOfMinds being of bellicose mind posted:

In my 2003 Corolla, I have experienced this occurance a couple of times. The three little resistor coils that provide the lowered fan speeds get quite hot and are located in the incoming air stream after the fan for cooling purposes. A few drops of water from the wet A/C evaporator hitting this resistor group may be responsible for these brief odors. Nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Philip®

I was talking about defrosting, melting ice, not defogging, I don't care about condensation when I defrost the ice OUTSIDE, NOT inside. I sure understand AC dries air. Are you sure compressor stops at 36 degree? It takes all morning to defrost the windshield at 36 degree, doesn't it?

Reply to
J Guan

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, J Guan being of bellicose mind posted:

Setting to DEFROST and temperature to the hottest setting is not going to do a proficient job of de-icing the outside of your windshield. That is not the intended purpose anyway. The A/C on all cars shuts off the A/C compressor when the evaporator is about 3-6 degrees above freezing. So long as the incoming air to the evaporator is below that cutoff temperature, the AC will stay OFF.

On the inside or the outside? The Defroster is only intended to deal with conditions inside the passenger compartment.

Reply to
Philip®

Most vehicle won't run the compressor if the temperature is below 40 to

38 degrees. Depending on the type of system, either a temperature sensor, or the low side pressure sensor will keep the compressor from running even though it is "enabled" in the defrost mode. The next really cold morning, open the hood, and have someone switch on the defrost while you are watching the compressor. I'll wager the compressor will not kick in.

Ed

J Guan wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White